UK Supermarket Morrison's is the cheapest (Guardian article)

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Monkey • Nov 26, 2014.

1. Monkey

MonkeyNew Member

Threads:
    According to an article in last weekends Guardian, Morrison's is the cheapest UK supermarket for own-branded goods, around 20% cheaper than Tesco and Sainsburys!

I actually didn't find this terribly surprising. I don't shop at Morrison's much because I really don't like their own-brand goods. When you check the ingredients list of a lot of things, you can see the reason why they're so cheap. I'd rather pay a bit more for something which isn't chock-a-block with bulking agents.

What's also interesting is that the article states Morrison's have the most expensive eggs. I wonder if a lot of things you automatically pick up - like eggs, or milk - are that few pence extra to make up for the cheaper prices elsewhere.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Morrison's quality is poor though, so a better buy is Tesco's own brand which is better quality for a few pence extra. I don't enjoy shopping at Morrison's as the atmosphere is quite oppressive and you don't get coupons to use or loyalty points. The new card scheme isn't worth it and soon people will figure that out.

People prefer Lidl and Aldi quality to Morrisons for the same price or less. Morrison's is losing its main customers base for many reasons and having good quality own branded goods is important, yet they skimp those compared to other like for like competitors.

3. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I don't shop much at Morrison's, though my mum rates it. I have seen these articles and advertisements saying that Morrison's ios cheaper and is the only supermarket to price match Aldi and Lidl. Personally, I shop at Aldi and can't imagine that Morrison's can compete with their prices. The quality of the food at Aldi is excellent. Myssister bought some of the own brand goods at Morrison's and didn't like them.