Ultrabooks

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Polgie • Jan 26, 2015.

1. Polgie

PolgieNew Member

Threads:
    So it's been 6 years since I last bought a computer, and that was when I was a student and netbooks were the thing.

So I'm pretty shocked that for the same price these days you can get... well pretty much the same spec computer that my netbook was. I thought electronics was meant to get cheaper!

Nevermind. I think ultrabooks are for those of us who bought netbooks as students - they're still light and portable, but so much more powerful. Has anyone recently bought an ultrabook? What did you get and what are your thoughts on it?

I'm looking to get an Acer Aspire S7-393, which has JUST come out. The reviews for the S7-392 are GLOWING, so I think I can't go much wrong here, but I'd like to hear your stories first!

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to fancy buying an ultrabook but ever since the invention of tabs, I'm looking to buy a crossbreed between a tab and an ultrabook. In other words, there's a detachable monitor with touchscreen features. This will make things easier for me as there are times when I don't need to use a keyboard and times when I badly need it. Having a "transformer" ultrabook would be a great advantage.

3. Polgie

PolgieNew Member

Threads:
    That's a great idea, and I think actually a lot of those are included when you look at the 'top 10 ultrabooks' lists. The only thing is that I already have an 8 inch tablet (Samsung note 8). I know that's not a reason not to get one, but I think having a transformer (and having a touch screen!) unnecessarily makes things more expensive. But, it does look like that's the way these things are going!

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can afford them, Ultrabooks are great as far as portability and comparable power are concerned. They're not top of the line as far as processors are concerned, but they pack some serious computing power anyways. Travelers will love an ultrabook, and the average computer user can appreciate them, too. They do come at a slight premium price-wise, though.