Uninsured Motorist Insurance

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by MrsJones • May 9, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I recently switched insurance companies in an effort to save money. I did save some money but what I found out was that certain coverages that I had under my old poicy were not added, one of which was the Uninsured Motorists Insurance. I was kind of upset about it at first but it got me to thinking... Sure the possibility is always there that another driver may not have auto insurance but what is the likelihood of this happening? It's a chance I'd have to take that it won't.

Do you elect to have Uninsured Motorist Insurance on your policy? What are your thoughts?

2. Wace

WaceNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, Yes, Yes!! Why pay for auto insurance if you're not going to protect yourself? I've been in the insurance industry for fifteen years now, and my husband for close to twenty. We own our own agency, and I would never recommend that a person save money by not having uninsured motorist coverage. In my experience, operating a vehicle without proper coverage is more common than you might think. Additionally, I can't tell you how many times one of my customers has had a car damaged in the parking lot of a retail store while shopping. All too often, the assailant drives away without leaving a note. Thankfully, the repairs are covered by their own UM coverage. So to wrap up...I carry Uninsured Motorist coverage on my own personal policy, and I always recommend that my customers do as well!

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    YES! I was hit by an uninsured motorist before. Definitely get it. It's not worth scrimping on to save a few bucks, and then having to cover the bills out of pocket. Also, when switching insurance policies, I would make sure to print out what is covered, and go line by line, since as you said, some things you'd had before weren't covered under the new policy. I'd go over first everything I had on my policy, and highlight what I wanted to keep, as well as doing some research to see if there were other things I needed, or things that could replace what I had and give a better benefit, such as (mentioned in another thread) upgraded roadside protection.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Just an update. Uninsured motorists coverage was added to my policy when we added another vehicle. Not to soon after that my Jeep was hit by someone who was uninsured. Boy the was close.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh good. It's absolutely necessary here in Texas, since we're fairly close to the border, but was just as necessary back home in Massachusetts. When I lived up there, insurance was mandatory in the state, but wasn't in the bordering state of Rhode Island, and often, those were the ones banging into vehicles. It'd be great if we could all just self-insure, but since most of us aren't in a position to do so, insurance is a necessary evil, and so is uninsured motorist coverage.