Unique gift ideas

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by katharinemae • Jul 14, 2012.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I love arts and crafts, it channels my creativity and relaxes my mind. Anyway, a friend of mine who knew about my hobby asked me to help him on his new project. He had this really nice idea on what to give his girlfriend for their anniversary, he wanted to give her a bouquet of origami flowers. We bought some colorful glossy papers and started to get to work, we searched the net for patterns and followed step by step. We arranged the flowers tied it up and placed a ribbon on it. It was fun and the outcome was spectacular. Isn't this gift awesome? Do you have any unique gift ideas you can share?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    That sounds like a lovely gift, and by making it yourself, it's cheaper and more original than the store bought version. I have RA, so I'm unable to do crafts because of problems with the joints in my hands and wrists, but I always used to make gifts such as hat and scarf sets and throws. I'd buy the yarn on sale or in job lots and work on projects through the year. These days, I make pickles and preserves and dress them up with pretty labels and lid covers to make mini hampers for friends and relatives. They're always well received - especially around Christmas.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The bouquet of origami flowers sounds just awesome!
    I tend to make gift baskets for various occasions. I try to incorporate unique homemade items into each one. For example, a baby shower basket may have several store bought items in it but I will either knit or crochet a baby blanket to include into the basket.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That would be a very nice gift. I grow plants which I share as gifts. I go to second hand stores and find different and unique bowls to put the plants in. Some times I will paint the planter to jazz it up a little. It's nice to give a gift that is different from the usual type of things that people get.

5. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I love the origami bouquet idea - very original and they wont wilt :) I love home made gifts, they mean so much more and you can make anything you want. No excuses about not finding what you need at a store for a gift because you can make exactly what you want to give from scratch and it will be much more personalized than anything else at the store

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Yes you are right, I like giving handmade gifts also and it's very unique. I would love for some one to make me a piece of jewelry because I make jewelry and it's unique and I love to see the craft of another person and what they have done for me. I feel like other people make things more unique and different from myself and it's a treasure for me to be wearing it.

7. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Ironically enough I just started a small project for a bridal shower gift. I'm on a really tight budget as times are tough but I wanted to get the bride to be a nice shower gift. I gave myself a budget of $30 so having in mind her registry and some items I had unopened around the house, I decided on making a gift basket. I went to BBB to buy 2 small items from her registry and then went to craft store and bought a basket, plain cards, stickers, custom frame. The stuff I had at home, floating candles, soaps, lotion/shower gel set. I used my 20% off coupon at the BBB and saved $2. However I spend $19 at BBB and $25 at the craft store. I went over budget but the gift basket it going to look so nice, it really looks like double or triple the value. Finishing touch, I'll use ribbon to wrap the handle on the basket and use my glue gun to fasten the bow. A great bridal shower gift.

8. guidedessensations

guidedessensationsNew Member

Threads:
    Gift items include articles like jewelry boxes, stylish bottle openers, ringing bells with a photo frame, customized notepads or calendars, key chains, cake topper etc among a lot others.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I always try to make my gifts rather than buy them, whenever I can. The reason for this is I feel it is much more personal than just buying something and having it wrapped at the mall. Nowadays, however, I have less and less time to spend for this so I just try to be as unique and personal with my gifts as possible, by really thinking about the personality of the person before buying the specific item for him or her. I usually just shop online for handcrafted stuff, I especially like to shop at Etsy, personally, their choices are so diverse, and at least you can be sure that your recipient wouldn't be getting something out of a factory which a thousand other people already have.

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I love origami! As for unique gift ideas, where would I start? The thing that makes a gift is how you personalize it for the recipient. A hand knit scarf isn't all that unique, but if you do something special with it and it is one of a kind it will be unique next to other knit scarves. Anything you create yourself that is not a massed produced copy will be unique.

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know if you put that special touch on a handmade gift, that makes it special. For example, if you make a scarf, you could put there birth sign on it and that will make it special for that person or if you put there initials on it or there birth month. Something that no one else has and that would be very unique and different. We can think of all kind of different ideas to make it special for a unique person.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    That's really cute. I am big on paper and cloth flowers right now. Cloth and paper anything, really. I have been on Pinterest the past few weeks and found this lovely blog that has instructions on how to make a fabric bow. Here you go: whipperberry.com/2011/11/how-to-make-a-fabric-bow-tutorial.html/

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Aww, that's really awesome. And it will last a lot longer than any fresh cut bouquet will.

We used to make homemade gifts all the time but I have long since forgotten most of the little things we used to do.

14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Great idea.. I agree,well made flowers are beautiful and long lasting... She would have those flowers for a long time to come. I love making most of my gifts too... hand made candles with fragrances, baked goods, plants with blooms on them etc., I enjoy making these and giving it out to those who value them.