Unique Or Creative Candy For Valentine's Day?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by vivivivicky • Feb 5, 2015.

1. vivivivicky

vivivivickyNew Member

Threads:
    Aside from the generic or run of the mill chocolate options that I see out in the stores now, do you have a favorite or unique candy that would make a good Valentine's Day treat?

Personally my favorite that I've given (and tasted, yum!) was hot chili pepper chocolate gems. They were delicious, and oh so spicy, but also presented beautifully which made it a great gift

2. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    They make a chocolate bar that has bacon in it, which is pretty tasty. The line that does usual chocolate combos though are from a "premier" brand so they're all a little pricey. I did see a chocolate thing at the Wawa that made me laugh. It was like a chocolate bunny, but was shaped like a man (think a ken doll) and it was called "The Perfect Boyfriend". :p

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Chocolate dipped edible flowers are quite unique and look extremely pretty! It's almost a shame to have to eat them.

4. vivivivicky

vivivivickyNew Member

Threads:
    Chocolate dipped flowers sounds absolutely perfect, thanks for the suggestion! And anything with bacon, let alone adding chocolate on top, has always been a hit!

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Been out of a relationship for some time now and I've fallen into a chocolate phase. I discovered the Lindt outlet store when I went out of town recently and my mind was blown. Hot pepper chocolate is pretty good but it may be an acquired taste for some. Marscapone is different but my favorites are hazelnut and peanut butter. What I'm trying to get used to is a new dark chocolate bar by Trader Joes. It has pop rocks (unflavored) inside and crackles inside your mouth.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Thankfully I don't have to buy flowers or chocolates for my girlfriend as the flowers make her sneeze and she doesn't eat chocolates.

I'd be rather cautious about buying my loved one a creative-tasting chocolate and I must say that hot chilli pepper chocolate doesn't sound enticing!

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just buy the usual stuff and try to package it creatively. I like to take a soda bottle and hang various candies from it with curling ribbon or make a cute gift basket. Sometimes, I make something special like chocolate covered strawberries or fudge dipped cookies. I also know that M&Ms will make personalized candies for you with sayings or even images on them. I think it's pretty cool and would definitely make ordinary candies more special. I'd probably combine them with something else and put them into a pretty container.

8. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    I know it's so popular that it isn't "unique" anymore, but I absolutely love anything sweet paired with sea salt. Dark chocolate + sea salt = absolutely awesome.

I've seen people pair that combo with some really yummy fruits. So, for Valentine's Day, you could cover mandarin orange slices or strawberries with chocolate, and then sprinkle salt on the top. Sooooo good.

9. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure if you're referring to making something yourself or purchasing something in stores but I'll approach both:

Stores: I noticed a few interesting things on my last trip to Walgreens. One I thought was particularly interesting was a heart shaped box that looked like it had chocolate inside but was covered in hair. Upon further inspection I realized it was a Jack Link jerky box with Bigfoot on it & jerky inside. Perfect quick gift for the man in your life.

DIY: For years I have made heart shaped gummy hearts for my god children for Valentines day. I make them with watermelon juice (their favourite) & pour it into rubber heart shaped ice cube trays. Done in an hour! Here's the recipe:

Homemade Sour Watermelon Gummies
    24 (more/less depending on mold) individual gummy candies

Ingredients:
    4 cups fresh chunks of watermelon
    6 TB grass fed gelatin
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Optional: 1/4 cup raw honey

Instructions:
    Add the watermelon to a blender and liquefy
    Strain the watermelon through a fine mesh strainer - discard the pulp - should have about 2 cups of juice
    Skim the white foam from the top and discard
    Divide the juice: Half to a small saucepan/Half to a bowl.
    Add the gelatin to the juice in the bowl sprinkling it over the surface
    Let it sit for a few minutes so that it dissolves into the juice & it solidifies
    Gently heat juice in saucepan to warm it - do not bring it to a boil or simmer
    Add gelatin & to the juice in the saucepan
    Whisk to combine until the liquid is smooth
    Whisk the raw honey and lemon juice until dissolved and combined
    Pour the gelatin mixture into molds
    Chill about 30 minutes
    Can be stored at room temperature, although they are great cold.