Untasted Food On Offer

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Hedonologist • Mar 3, 2016.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    The other day I was in the shop, and spotted some 'digestive biscuits'. Given that I have never had a single one of these in my life, I thought it was worth giving it a try, seeing as practically everyone in the UK has tried them. They were on offer and I ended up buying 3 packs, but now I don't like them I have almost 3 packs full.

I couldn't let the offer slide though (1.50 per pack, or 3 for £2.50)

Would you ever buy food you've never tried in bulk if it was on offer?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I would buy them if I thought they could be given to someone else if I really didn't like them. Or alternatively I'd try to repurpose them, in the case of digestive biscuits. They're great as a cheesecake base, or dipped in chocolate like the ones you see at the supermarket! I prefer those ones but can't eat them due to a dairy allergy so making my own chocolate dipped plain ones works for me!

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Quite honestly, no! I'd have to maybe taste them off someone first or just but a single pack. I sometimes find people's opinions can be misleading, so I don't rely on that as we all have different tastes. I feel for you when it comes to Digestive biscuits, because they're very popular in the UK, yet when I tried them i just couldn't understand the huge deal. I think they're seriously overrated.

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm... I don't think so. I'm quite picky with foods and if I don't like it, I'll definitely not finish it. So it can be really a waste buying something in bulk and ending up not liking it. I would rather buy something that I personally have tasted and liked even if it is priced higher. In reality, no matter how affordable a food item is, if it doesn't taste nice for me, it is really just a waste of money.

My mom always says that she is the janitor fish of the family. Whenever we have leftovers of something, she's the one who has to finish them. Lol. And my sister's like me as well, she's quite picky with food. Problem is, she keeps buying unknown brands and ends up throwing them in the fridge if she didn't like them. That's why my mom is the janitor fish, haha!

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I've done this before and bought things on sale in bulk thinking my kids would like them. If we open one pack and no one will eat them, I bring it to work and share with my coworkers so the food doesn't go to waste. Then I'll return the other packs to the store. Stores are good about things like that, especially Costco. You can even return opened packages of food to Costco and tell them that you didn't like it and you'll get a full refund.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When there are new food products, we always buy the smallest quantity. Like a biscuit for example, it may or may not taste good so a small pack is just fine. Last year the Tesco line of products from UK was introduced here. The prunes looked good so I got 4 packs. But my husband returned the 3 packs, saying we have to taste it first. Back home, the prunes tasted so good that on the next day my husband was back to the supermarket to get another 3 packs.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it would depend on what it was and whether it was similar to something that I eat now. It does sound like it was a good deal since buying three was less than buying two separate boxes. Of course since you did not like them, they were not a good bargain. I probably would have only bought one box and if I liked them then go back and buy them in bulk to get the savings.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would but only if it seems like the product will be good. I think if it seemed even just slightly risky I wouldn't buy it because I'd think to myself I'd be better off just spending that money on a brand I actually like. If I know it's also a well known brand and that I am buying something of good quality or if it is recommended by friends then I'd be more likely to give it a try. From time to time I think it's alright to risk this though and I think the best time to try is when there is a promo, but I'd also consider the price. If the extra price is only a little above what I would normally pay for a box then I'd say it's worth it, but if it's a lot more then I'd much rather just get a box to try it out.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    If I were to be totally honest on this one - my answer would be no - as although I'm sometimes willing to try small sample packs of items that may result in being more cost effective alternatives to something that I'm already using - I really couldn't ever justify buying anything in bulk that I hadn't tried beforehand - however good the deal was - particularly as it would be a total waste of money - if I didn't like it.