Upgrading my iPad 2

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by autograph • Mar 1, 2014.

1. autograph

autographNew Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone!
    I need your advice since I am thinking about upgrading my iPad 2. I have had my iPad 2 for about two years now and I think it might be time to upgrade it. Most of the updated apps on my iPad has been running a bit sluggishly. I suspect this must be because the apps are optimized for the system with newer hardware. I currently have two options in mind:
    1. iPad mini with Retina Display
    2. iPad Air

I am confused on which one I should choose. Is iPad mini with Retina Display good enough? Or should I stick with my screen size and upgrade to iPad Air?
    Suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Really depends, you might not need to upgrade if you don't want to. You should consider doing a reset and wipe of your iPad and seeing if that improves performance. Apart from that it really depends on your needs for a smaller iPad (iPad mini) or a larger iPad (iPad Air).

3. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    The first thing you would have to think about is, would you be comfortable with a screen which is smaller than your current or would you prefer to stick with your screen size that you currently have?

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    They both run great and perform pretty much the same since they are made with modern hardware, so I'd say it just comes down to your preferred screen size and budget. I'd personally just opt for the iPad Air because I prefer the bigger screen size and the price difference seems fair to me. The only downside is that it's a little less portable, but I rarely take my tablet with me unless I'm going on longer trips. It really boils down to personal preference, really, since they both perform very well anyway.

5. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    You could have a look at Android tablets. They are half the price and twice the specifications. If you like to have a gorgeous screen, have a look at a Nexus 10. The screen is even better than Apple's Retina displays.

6. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I have to second that. I have two tablets that's 10" and a newer one that's 7". The screen size makes a huge difference in terms of whether it's a comfortable to read with and I end up generally switching back to my 10" instead. I recommend you going to a store to play around with them before deciding.

Android is a good alternative, but if you're like me who started with an apple product then it's a bit annoying not being able to transit your apps across to another platform - especially ones that you've already paid for. That's something to consider as well.

7. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I would recommend the iPad Mini with Retina display. It is basically the same device as your iPad 2 with better internal hardware specs. So it will be able to play your apps smoothly. The one problem with the iPad Mini is that it has a smaller screen. Which I personally do not like. If you are comfortable with a smaller screen display the iPad Mini should be your choice.

8. autograph

autographNew Member

Threads:
    Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. I am not comfortable with Android as my tablet's OS; I would definitely consider the smartphones though, especially the Google Nexus lines.
    I see the majority of the opinions here mainly talk about the size of the screen. This seems to be the most deciding factor in choosing iPad Air over the iPad mini. It was actually bothering my mind too. I am afraid that once I get the iPad mini, I might not be satisfied with its screen. I guess I will take the chance and choose iPad mini. I usually watch movies on my laptop anyway.
    Once again, thanks everyone.