UPS Threw My Package

Discussion in Shipping Services started by TheViper • Oct 31, 2014.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    We were expecting a few packages to come in the mail from Amazon. There were all PC parts as I was upgrading my old PC to be able to play certain games. Let me just paint a picture for you of what happened when this occurred. I was sitting at my home computer checking the tracking information. Then all of a sudden I hear this loud thud at my front door which startled my friends dog. Looked out the window real fast and saw it was the UPS guy who was delivering my packages. I opened the door and picked up one of the boxes and could just hear rattling. Instantly, I knew that it was broken and I had to wait another week(delivered on a Thursday) for a replacement. The guy came back with another package and was surprised to see me there. I said calmly to him "did you throw my package?". He then replied with, "so what if I did? Can you sign for it since I have another stop?". Now what I did next is something I probably shouldn't have done but I was mad. My friend already got the packages in The House. I signed the little machine and started to hand it back to him and dropped it.

Two wrongs don't make a right but a attitude like his needs to be corrected. Needless to say the part was replaced for free and the shipping cost was refunded.

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Good call! That just made my day:). I always like to be home when UPS delivers just because of that incident. What you did was more than just making a complaint to his superiors. Kudos.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    An Employee like him should be fired from UPS, 1) he's costing the company unnecessary cost, and 2) he's insulting customers. I'm glad you know @Quick Digit that two wrongs don't make a right, and that you know what you've done which was rude too, but I think that's something I would do too. I don't like it when people are rude and especially without a reason to be. Good job! your win.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I hope you called the company about him in addition to dropping the clipboard. I once won a phone and I saw the guy drop my phone and then kind of kick it. But, since it was a free prize, I didn't really wail over it, but I did let him know that I saw what he did. The phone never did work like I think it should've, but it was no cost to me, so I guess I'm not too upset.

Yes, I am.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    UPS has broken well wrapped items I have shipped or had shipped to me. I will never use them again because of how they treated my packages and how bad their service is at least in my area. They failed to deliver a package once even though the signed slip was on the door. I came home to find the final notice stuck right next to the signed slip, they didn't even look at it!!!!

6. MichelleTheConsumer

MichelleTheConsumerMember

Threads:
    I would suggest lodging a complaint with the company.

But I would not do it by phone at a call center. Having worked in call centers for a very long time, I can tell you that most people who answer phones -- or even supervisors, in this case -- will not advance your complaint, though they won't tell you that.

I would write to US Corporate and cc it to World Corporate. And you want to do this by putting this at the bottom of the letter:

cc: UPS World Headquarters.

This is more so that Regional knows that you are serious and they also know that their superiors are aware of the problem.

Here are the addresses:

UPS Americas and the Caribbean
    3401 NW 67th Avenue, Bld. 805
    Miami , FL 33122

UPS World Headquarters
    55 Glenlake Parkway NE
    Atlanta , GA 30328

If I were in your shoes -- and trust me, I HAVE been! -- I would make sure that the letter makes all aware that you were HIGHLY inconvenienced, not to mention appalled. This is because frequently, companies will comp you stuff if you were inconvenienced.

If you don't hear back from them in a reasonable amount of time, you should follow up with another letter.

I have used two question/statements with companies in the past which worked well. Note that you don't want to threaten to take action. Just imply.

1. "Can you please tell me which state your corporate offices are actually situated in so I know which Attorney General I might need to contact?"

2. "Could you help me save some time, please, and tell me where on the internet most people review your service?"

Good luck.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know this post is a little old, but this happens with every shipping services, except perhaps the United States Postal Service. You'll hear horror stories about OnTrac, UPS, FedEx, and DHL, among others. The only things you tend to hear about from the Post Office are lost packages or items delivered to the wrong house. It's a problem with the individual rather than the company, though. Obviously, companies aren't telling their workers to throw and toss packages around like they're nothing.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's disgusting behavior on the part of the delivery man. It takes just as little effort to set down a customer's package as it does to throw it. He owed you an apology and should not have been so proud of himself. I'm glad that you dropped his clipboard and got justice. Bad delivery men get away with too much. I've had Christmas gifts stolen in the past because UPS left them sitting g out in the open where anyone could take them.

9. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I have had too many problems with UPS throwing my packages and damages. I had customers who lammed me when they received damaged items. Something needs to be done about this. We as the consumers are usually paying for their mistakes unless you purchase for very good stores.

10. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    That's a pretty good burn, and that UPS guy deserved it. He could have just apologized and kept it moving. I really don't like people who feel the need to make other people's day crappy because they feel some kind of way. Luckily, all of the UPS guys that I have met have been really nice. I can totally see this happening though, and it's a shame that it does. They get so caught up in delivering all of their packages as quickly as possible, that they don't take care of the actual packages. It sucks that you had to experience something like this. Hopefully, your next encounter with UPS will be a lot more pleasant.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm just wondering, if the UPS guys just leave the package on the ground when they deliver it, how will it be confirmed that you have indeed received it when needs to have a signature?

Anyway, to the OP, it was just right that you gave him a dose of his own medicine. You should have gotten his name too and reported his attitude and unprofessionalism to the company itself so that he can get fired. Now that would be the best karma.

12. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had an issue with UPS throwing my stuff, the only thing I have had issues with was the phantom knocking thing (where they just leave it and don't knock or they knock once then leave it)
    But I have heard plenty of horror stories and seen plenty of surveillance tapes of the delivery guy doing just that.