USB charging, have we gone too far?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Lostvalleyguy • May 21, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed a number of devices are now designed to be recharged in a USB port. I love the idea that I don't need to drag a charger around with me and I can use virtually any computer to recharge my devices. I have seen these on cameras and other devices that operate remotely but are frequently connected to computers and I think this is great.

I needed a new flashing headlight for my bike and decided to go with a rechargeable light, It is small and charges on a USB. The problem I have is that the device is not something that one would normally connect to a computer. I am thinking that I may have to turn my computer on for several hours simply to charge devices. This seems like a bit of an inefficient use of a computer.

I will note that there exist wall outlets with USB ports built in but they are expensive right now. Do you think we are taking USB charging a step too far when it is for devices not intended to connect to a computer? Are we needing to go one step further and needing standardized USB charging and USB outlets in every home?

usb.

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that this is simply great. This is the first time that I've heard about it. It looks impressive. And honestly it will be very useful and convenient if all technologies are capable of USB charging.

3. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    Well, a lot of modern homes have usb chargers built straight away into the outlets. For me, I leave my computer on 24/7 anyways so it doesn't really effect me much. Sometimes it's just awkward to have something dangling off of your PC. I don't think it's terribly inconvenient. I think it's moving right along with technologies advancements.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess you haven't heard of the universal battery chargers that have USB ports? They look like this:

Another variation of that would be USB wall chargers that only have a USB port. I saw one at dx.com and it's cheaper than the universal batt charger. So now you know that it's quite cheap to charge USB devices without having to use a pc.