Used baby clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by liquidfuzzy • Sep 17, 2012.

1. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    How do you feel about purchasing used baby clothes? I am expecting a child and personally I view it as a genius idea. They say your baby outgrows clothes within weeks when they're infants, but is there anything I should know about purchasing used clothes for them?

2. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    I would just make sure to clean them before using them. My children have always worn second hand and people always comment on how well dressed they are. I spend next to nothing and my kids look great. I could never afford to buy the brands they wear new. The only thing I am picky on is shoes and generally buy these new, but babies do not need shoes when they are first born. Go for it!

3. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Never done this myself, but yes I'd stay away from used underwear, socks and footwear. Laundering the clothes (even if they are previously laundered) once again might help to ensure hygiene.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    When my kids were small, we used to pass baby clothes around the family and friends and think nothing of it. These days, people sell their used stuff on Ebay and at car boot sales. I've bought stuff for my grandchildren, and we've had some lovely things, that would have been far too expensive to buy new, for the short time they'd be in use.

I'd just say avoid socks, waterproof pants and vests - they're inexpensive, so go for new. Also, check for stains. If somebody is prepared to sell dirty baby clothes, their hygeine habits may not be great. I'd also run it all through the washer when you get home. Good luck!

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea, too. There is no reason not to, in my opinion. Like you said, babies grow really fast and they're quickly out of one size and into the next before you realize it. Might as well save some money as they get bigger.

6. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have kids but I suppose that make good logical sense to save money and plus kids grow like weeds nowadays so they don't stay the same size for long. I agree with the other poster about not buying used undergarments. If I did buy second hand, I'd just be sure to wash them once or twice first to make sure they are clean/sanitized. Congratulations on the baby by the way.

7. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    Definitely wash used clothes before you allow your kids to buy them. I'd also steer clear of buying used cloth diapers. EWWW. Also used onesies are a question mark for me. Onesies usually aren't that expensive to buy new.

8. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    As long as they're in good shape, I see no problem with it! I always see great clothes at garage sales. It's a great way to get cute and/or name brands (if you're into that sort of thing) without paying a gazillion dollars for it.

9. derpybird

derpybirdMember

Threads:
    I had two boys and I know that they don't stay in the same size for more than a few weeks especially in the first few months. Back when my boys were little we didn't use e-bay but I did save my first son's clothes and luckily used them for the second one. Definitely wash any used clothes you obtain in hot water and if they're white, bleach them as well. Dry on the highest heat, that should kill just about any germs or viruses. Saving money is crucial these days so I would recommend saving money on baby clothes.

10. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I bought my son plenty of used clothes. I got them at super cheap prices and some of them actually wound up being my favorite pieces of clothing. I always wash them first of course to make sure they are completely clean. My son is still young and has grown so fast. They really don't wear them that long as infants and toddlers. It has worked for us so far.

11. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    So long as you clean them really well: hot water and then hot air dry. That will kill anything!

Once the clothes are clean have your baby wear them forever! Or until they our grow it. Then you should happily take the clothes back and consign them! You can make a little money off of clothing your baby has outgrown.

It's a smart system. A great way to outfit your baby and save some money for his or her college fund at the very same time.