Used Branded Products Vs. Brand New Generic Products

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Nov 2, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I always have this dilemma whenever I'm shopping for expensive things like computers and mobile devices. I have an aversion to using pre owned products but the prices are usually very tempting. Often though I think of just buying a brand new cheaper product instead, since I consider it an equal risk situation due to second hand products possibly breaking more easily and the same could be said for cheap brands but at least I would be getting it brand new and possibly even a warranty with it.

How about you guys, if given the choice between a branded second hand product or a brand new generic one, which would you choose and why?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on my budget. Like if my budget is only $100 for a tablet, then I will probably stick to buying a lesser known brand but with good reviews so that I can get it brand new, like Ainol, for example. I will just wait for the branded ones to drop their prices before buying them.

3. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good question. I share the same sentiment as you when it comes to second hand products. I' just don't fancy owning a product after someone else's use of it and would rather to know within myself that it's brand new, it wasn't anyone else's and would likely last longer because of that. But then you have brandless generic products and I can't go too far with those, especially when it comes to owning a phone. I prefer to use and own brand name items since they are simply better and obviously more costly. However, I think I'd just buy the brand new generic brand. I wouldn't be able to overlook pre-ownership as an aspect of a brand-name item.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought refurbished apple products on Groupon and they were a lot cheaper and work fine. They do come with a limited warranty, but you can't take them into an apple store only from the actual seller. I think the best thing to do is buy from a reputable company and ensure there is a warranty with the product. I would still prefer a branded product as with generic items it can be difficult to find compatible software and chargers.