Using Alternative Energy

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by toradrake • Dec 10, 2014.

1. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Can't afford alternative energy systems like solar and wind? Did you know that you can make your own for less then $100.00 and it could end up saving you over a $1000.00 in a year or less? It is pretty easy and inexpensive to purchase the items you need to make your own solar and/or wind power. There are also ways that you can utilize them to save on your electric bill, especially during the winter months. Here is what you do:

Make your own solar and/or wind power, it is not hard and it is very inexpensive. You do not need to have any technical skills at all to create them. Here is a link to some simple instructions, but there are hundreds of videos and tutorials online you can use.

Hook it up to a power strip. With it connected to a power strip you can plug in things like lamps and space heaters. That will kick down your bill quite a bit.

Do not use your normal heater or lights. Use only lamps and space heaters that are hooked up to the solar or wind power. You can create one solar or wind power for each item so as not to over use it.

As you get more adventurous (and notice the savings) You can create larger more Power Systems that can eventually be plugged into your house so the whole house saves rather then just the minor items.

How do I know all of this... I live off the grid. We live in an RV and our property is located over 40 miles from the nearest town. We do not have access to electricity, water, or sewage. We have no choice but to live on Solar and Wind power. I can power an entire RV with only a few panels or one medium sized wind generator. I have not technical skills and yet I can make this stuff without a second though. They are that easy to make. Good Luck!

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I looked at the video, and it looks to me like you not only have to have some specialized equipment to make the sollllar panels; you have to have a lot more technical skills than I do. I can see that probably some people who are experienced at building things from scratch, and enjoy doing those kinds of conctruction; could actually build something like this for use at home.
    I think theidea is an excellent idea, though. I have been buying solar lights at the store or on Amazon when I find them on sale. We used the little yard lightswhen our electricity was out; and they did the job just fine.
    I put the lighta outside in the daytime, and then we used them insideafter it gotdark. They were not a very powerful light, but we could atl east see to get around in the house, and it was not using anything like electricity or even a candle would use.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I am brave enough to make a solar panel but I would like to use the solar lights we have in the yard for light in the house when the power goes out but we still have to be concerned about the refrig and keeping the food or heat if it is cold outside.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can definitely use the solar lights that you have in the yard for light at night. When we had bad storms here and the lights were out for over a week, I brought in the solar lights which were along the driveway where we parked the car at. Thin, in the mornings, I would take them back outside and set them all in the sunshine to charge up again. They did not give us very much light; but it was enough for us to find our way around the house in the dark.
    In the winter time, you would not have to worry about keeping food cold, because you could just store it outsiide where it was cold, and even pack it with snow if necessary.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Last week, my husband is checking on the solar panels in the electronics store in the mall. For $100 you can have a solar panel that can produce 1 KVA of electricity. I didn't get the price for the battery but I guess it's lower than the solar panel. Now my question is this - will that solar power deliver its claim of 1 KVA all the time? No one can give me a good answer.