Using an apron, yes or no?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Oct 23, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always use an apron when I am doing the dishes, maybe because I am clumsy and often get wet while doing it, but to cook I don't wear one. What about you, do you use an apron or do you consider that this is something exclusive for women?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use an apron because I just think that it's a nuisance. :( However, I do see my grandmother using one all the time. I don't know. I just don't like aprons.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, yes, yes! I don't see why you wouldn't use an apron for cooking if all that it makes is avoid you from getting the cooking dirt. But what I like most in using an apron is that it blocks the smell you might get from the foods that you are cooking especially when you are frying and there's that smell that won't go away from your skin even if you're already done cooking. This is why I make it a point to always use an apron whenever I am cooking, not just frying.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At home I don't wear an apron as I wear casual clothes to cook. However, when I was helping out at a center where the washing up was heavy duty, an apron was needed with spills and water and soap splashing everywhere. In my own kitchen I was taught to wash up as you went along if possible and that habit has always stayed with me.

I think if you are preparing messy things then an apron maybe necessary like lobsters or crabs, but in general when you wear an apron you end up wiping your hands on it more!

5. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't just because I don't have one but sometimes I wish I did, just because when I'm cooking I sometimes get flour all over my clothes and it's unpleasant and sometimes hard to get off without actually changing and washing clothes.

6. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I normally don't wear an apron even though I have two of them. The only time I wear them is around the holidays when we are preparing large meals. We usually make tamales every year for Christmas, and that is a very messy affair. That's when my aprons see the light of day.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never use an apron at all when I cook or do the dishes, although we have a few aprons lying around here. I guess I was not trained to do it so I don't use one. Actually, no one in this house uses an apron.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I know it looks funny, especially on a guy, it seems something for women or old ladies right haha... :D Either cases, I use one because I wash dishes a lot and I ended up with my clothes wet, so I started doing it. For cooking there's no need so far, I don't get dirty cooking.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't use an apron. I did when I was a kid. I usually change out of my good clothes before cooking. Now, this thread has got me thinking about buying an apron. Sometimes it's not always practically for me to change. Wearing an apron would allow me to protect my clothing from stains. I also get wet while washing the dishes. I try to be careful, but I never fail to get wet.

10. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I personally do not wear an apron at home. I find no need to because my husband mainly cooks and I never make a mess when I am washing dishes. The only time that I have worn an apron was at school in science class. When I was younger, I never seen my mom or grandmothers wear an apron so that trend never stuck to me.

11. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use an apron as I don't use a dishcloth, I just don't believe that they will ever return to being clean enough for me to have around my food, so why bother? Every time I see someone using an apron, it's to wipe their hands and things like that, but I think that is just germy, so I use paper towels while I cook.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Sugar, I don't use an apron to cook as I mentioned, I use it just to wash dishes so that I don't get wet. Either cases, I don't think an apron can get that dirty that doesn't enable it for cooking, come on, that is why we wash things right?

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really use the apron that much either when I cook or bake something or wash the dishes. I just settle with my regular house clothes and try not to get wet or stained in the process. I'm also concerned I'd have to keep washing the apron or ruining it. I'm very clumsy with accoutrements, an errant nail might rip it off.

14. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Well I *am* a woman, so that part isn't a problem for me, lol...and I certainly don't think it's exclusive to women by any means. I definitely like to wear it for doing dishes and such, like you I tend to be a bit messy with it and I don't want to end up with water all over my shirt. Sometimes I'll wear it for cooking and baking, it really just depends on my mood. I like to on occasion though.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't use an apron but I think they are very useful and I've always been meaning to buy one but I just keep forgetting. I think even if it's not entirely necessary it's still just good for safety measure and also it looks nice when you are cooking anyway. I've been thinking of getting one but I will be looking for something that is a bit more quirky in design since probably no one will see me in it anyway.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I have guests, I'll use an apron all the time.

I think being seen in apron makes someone believe that you are a great cook and even if what you cook doesn't taste that great, they'll still compliment you. Otherwise when I'm alone I never use aprons when I'm cooking but when doing some cleaning in the kitchen then I must use an apron

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Haha, that funny Denis lol, so when you have guest you wear the apron because that makes you feel a great cook? :D Usually people that the apron when the guests arrive, but that's another perspective, we will look more pro sure, depending on the apron. :p

18. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    No. I don't wear an apron, but I probably should when I am cooking. I cook a lot and I always end up getting my clothes dirty. This is especially true when I am making anything that involves flour. An apron would probably help me to not have to wash so many clothes. I don't think an apron would be useful to me when washing dishes because I barely get water on myself when washing dishes. I think aprons are gender neutral and don't see a problem with a man wearing an apron.

19. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on the person. I, however, really need an apron. I always am spilling or knocking things over in the kitchen. I usually am covered with food after the meal is all prepared. It is worse when I have done the dishes. I spill water all over the ground too. I usually have socks on so of course they are soaking wet once I step away from the sink. I think if I got an apron, my fiance would wear it too. He isn't so clumbsy but I think that he worries about his clothes getting ruined.

20. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is always advisable to use the apron while doing dishes and also any other kitchen works. It is never advisable to do the dishes without the apron as the dress you're wearing will get extremely dirty. I hope that most of the people use apron.