Using Dish Soap For Bubble Bath

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Farrah • Aug 2, 2012.

1. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    When I was growing up my mom always put dish soap and a little baby oil in the bath tub when she gave us a bath. When people out side of my family see me do this, they basically freak out like its going to kill me. Am I really the only one that does this?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not dish soap for a bubble bath but I have put baby oil in the tub when I take a bath. I have used dish soap in the laundry when I have run out of laundry soap.

3. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    My mom used dish detergent as bubble bath when we were growing up, so you're not the only one. Now we use body wash as our bubble bath. Certain parts of my body have become so sensitive and most soaps irritate me, so I just prefer to take showers instead of baths. Dove bar soap is the only thing I've found that doesn't irritate my skin. I probably take baths about once or twice a month.

4. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    If it works and it saves you money, then why not? I really don't think there is much difference between bubble bath, liquid soap and dish soap. I use liquid soap to clean the dishes I use for my cats all the time. As long I as I rinse well, I could use bubble bath I'm sure although I would not because it is generally more expensive. So check prices and whatever benefits you the best financially is the way to go.

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard of people doing this before, but I never tried it before. I don't think it would do anything to your skin, I mean you do use it to wash dishes. That's a way to save money on the expensive bubble bath. I guess shampoo would work also, but I take showers myself, so I wouldn't need to try this out.

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Well all I know is, I have been doing it everyday for about 47 years. I am still alive. I take my shower in the morning and a relaxing bath every night to remove the stress of the day. I just couldn't believe that someone else was freaking out when I did it. Now,I remember one time, my mother told my older brother to run my bath, and he couldn't find the dish soap, and he used SPic and Span. LOL my mom saw the box and wouldn't let me get in. She also yelled at my brother for a long time ha ha ah good times.

7. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    Dish soap will not hurt you. Its really no different than what you use to bathe with anyway. Soap just breaks down the surface tension of the water. Thats what makes it slippery and suddsy. As long as you are not sensative to it I don't see why not. I use coconut oil in my bath water along with a mild soap.

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Ah yes the old coconut oil trick! Why didn't I think of that one? I rub it on my feet every night and put on a pair of socks, and it has stopped my foot oder completely.

9. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Dish soap is not used for anything other than dish soap around here. The main reason is because it causes problems with the clothes, skin, etc. It dries everyone out, so it's not used.

10. Wasabi

WasabiNew Member

Threads:
    I don't see a large problem with it. But I can see why people would freak out, it's not its intended use, obviously. Are you using dish soap to save money or is there another reason for it?

11. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure it won't harm you, but I don't think it's a good idea. Dish detergent is meant to cut through caked on grime and grease. Most of them have additional anti-bacterial solutions as well. It seems like it would be irritating to the body, especially for a woman. I also think that most of the detergents would dry the average person's skin out. If you need a multi-purpose cleaner, try castile soap in liquid form.

12. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Your you can stay quiet. At least among people I know, is quite common to use that kind of soap during the time of the shower. Some people say it is more beneficial, because their properties are neutral. I used it on occasion and had no problem. I like it because it has no particular fragrance or irritating the skin. Anyway, I don't know if it is dermatologically tested. It all depends on skin type that everyone has.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    There's no problem with it. I've never personally done it, but I see no issues with it. After all, they use Dawn for cleaning animals in oil spills because it cuts the crap -and- is gentle enough for baby animals. It's a really basic soap, so I'd rather use it than a lot of those other shampoos and bubble baths anyway.

14. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    I can't imagine that would be safe. It was made for dishes not humans, am I right?

Anyways, I have never had a bubble bath in my life. Sad I know, but ever since birth I've really only had the traditional showers or wipe me downs. There's something about lying in the bathtub that just grosses me out. Its probably just me.

15. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I used to take bubble baths as a kid. It's a fun experience when you're like 10. All the bubbles and stuff floating around. But once you grow up, the magic of a bubble bath really doesn't last. A tub filled with bubbles is like "meh, whatever" to anyone over 15. Especially for me being a guy. For women though, Bubble Baths never end. They find them relaxing and stuff. So women will take bubbles baths well into adulthood. But guys switch to and stick with showers well into adulthood. I'm pretty sure there probably are guys who still take bubble baths as adults. Because there's an exception to every rule. But it's a rareity.

As for using dish-washing liquid or dish soap for bubble baths? Uh no. When I was little we used :eek:actual bubble bath liquid that came in a red bottle for that :p. I have used dishwashing liquid on occasion to wash small items in the washing machine though. And also when I am mopping my house. It gives the Linoleum a good post-mop shine!

16. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    I never heard of that before. It's too bad info like this doesn't go around much. Because bubble bath can be expensive while dish soap can be dirt cheap.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Well they use it on animals, too, because it's so gentle....

And bubble bath is "made for humans" but is actually bad for you. Especially for little girls, it can cause a lot of issues with UTIs because those fragrance/chemicals mess with the balance down there.

18. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    Seriously , you still do that ? :D I did that like when I was like 3 years old ,not anymore :D

19. Mary Robertson Wade

Mary Robertson WadeNew Member

Threads:
    Can ba thing in Dawn dish soap, regular or antibiotic, cause women to have yeast or any other kind of vaginal infection?

20. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not really see what is wrong with using dish soap as a bubble bath. I think that they separate the different soaps to make more money. We are told that one soap is for only dishes, one for bathing, and one to wash clothes in, but I do not see the difference. Dish soap bubbles up really good which is perfect for bubble bath. As long as it has not bothered you, then why not.