Using Foil On Baking Trays

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Oct 1, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you always use foil on a baking tray to extend the life of a baking tray? I do this from time to time, besides it saves washing up if it is something messy or greasy. As baking trays are cheaper these days you can always replace them, but using foil can help at times and can also speed up the cooking.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just wondering why I always cover my baking trays and here's a post on it lol. I've just always done it.. I guess because my mother always did. She used foil though and I use parchment.. much better. Still very wasteful though, I think I'll stop.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes this is something that I have always done too.

In fact I don't just line my baking trays with foil - but also use it to line my stove top - especially when cooking foods that are likely to splash or be generally messy and although lining my stove top with foil may sound a little extravagant and not exactly what you might call a money saving tip.

Its certainly worth it - as it sure saves a whole lot of time - particularly when you consider that all you have to do - is remove the foil to reveal an immaculately clean stove top - instead of having to spend hours trying to remove those difficult burnt on food splatters - that usually appear in abundance every time you cook sauces etc.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, as long as I have it, I use it. It really does provide protection against a mess. So unless you want to spend all of your time cleaning trays, I think the use of foil on baking trays makes a lot of sense. It is just one of the items you can use to make your life easier. It doesn't cost much to use foil on these trays so save yourself a problem.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't bother using foil on my baking trays but I do line the grill pan with foil. Then, I can just lift the foil out, along with all the grease that has collected and it's much easier to keep clean. I know it's a waste of resources but, the way I look at it, I'd waste a sponge scourer, detergent and hot water if I didn't do this.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I use tin foil all the time. I love the fact that you don't have to wash the tray sometimes and other times the clean up is minimal. I line my baking trays when I'm baking chicken or pork in the oven. It keeps the mess from the marinade to a minimal amount. I will use parchment paper when I'm baking cookies although I am considering investing in a silpat silicone cookie sheet.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this as well. I know it can seem like a waste of money for some since I'm essentially using something disposable for something that's supposed to be reusable, but I look at it as giving me more savings in time and effort since I don't have to spend a lot of time washing my tray. Also, I get to save on dishwashing soap anyway so I see it as mostly being even by the end.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have non stick it does help, because they are easier to wash and to keep clean. Foil is really cheap in pound shops or as a supermarket basic, but it does depend on what you are cooking.

I cook pies and the pastry can get stuck so using foil makes it easier to clean and I don't have to scrub so much. I will admit to using foil several times and will only throw it out when it's really messy so I do get my moneys worth.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always put foil on my baking trays, because it makes it much, much easier to clean up when I have finished cooking. I always find them very difficult to clean when I haven't used foil on them, so this is very helpful for me, as it means that I don't have to stand scraping food off the tray for the rest of the day. Fair enough, it doesn't really save money, but foil isn't expensive where I live, and one roll can last me for a very long time.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a pie pan for baking but when the foil trays came into fashion, it seems that it is better to use particularly when we would be baking for giveaways. Like the cassava cake that we cook on occasions, we always bake them on foil trays. Covered with cellophane, it looked like expensive pastry from the bakeshop, truly a nice token.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do, but it doesn't completely protect the baking sheet from getting dirty, so I still end up washing them a bit - it just protects against stuff getting really stuck to the baking trays, such as when I'm baking buffalo wings - and that fat and grease practically fuses to the baking sheets otherwise and is a pain to remove. But the grease and juices still tend to leak through the seams onto the sheets themselves.

I have a mixture of both cheap and more study baking sheets. Sure, you can replace your baking sheets regularly, for pretty cheap, at places like Dollar Tree. But those sheets are really thin and often warp in the oven while you are cooking on them, causing the food to shift around. Also, if you try to cut food on them, they will often leave a permanent crease in the baking sheet.

Instead, I spent a little extra and bought some heavy duty restaurant grade aluminum baking sheets which are not only super light, but are also much thicker and more durable. However they don't have a non stick coating, which is fine because I don't want to worry about it flaking off down the road. I just have to be more careful about stuff sticking to them, so that is why I use the foil on them in particular.

I don't consider it too wasteful, since I would otherwise be spending extra on detergents and de-greasers and kitchen scrubbers trying to clean them all the time.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I use either foil or parchment. Depends on what I’m cooking. My mother always uses foil for roasting, so I guess I just picked it up from her. The monetary savings might be negligible, but the time I save on the cleanup is more than worth it. Even if I soaked the trays it would still be a pain scraping off all the caked-on stuff.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I made mini meat loaves the other night and using foil saved me hours of scrubbing! I was going to put it in the crock pot when I read that lining with foil makes it easier to lift out. Then I just put it in my oven instead using the same technique. So much easier than scrubbing pans!

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Me too less mess less time for clean up using foil as topper and lining the pans. Foil is cheap too, so it's worth it to use it. Aside of cooking and baking faster it helps clean ups as we all know for food does splatter when you bake at times.

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't used to line my baking trays with anything, and would scrub and scrub, but the baked on mess would never come off. I have expensive trays and don't plan on replacing them, even though they're discolored from use. I started lining them with foil, but then I got some silicone baking mats, and use those now, when I can find them. I will sometimes alternate those with foil or parchment paper, depending on what I'm making and what I have on hand, and I really like how much easier it is to clean the trays when I line them.

16. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I use parchment paper. I just discovered it and love it. It makes baking so much easier. I find that my tin foil often rips and I have to clean the pan anyway. However parchment paper is a lot stronger. I've never had it rip before.

17. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Baking trays may be cheaper today, however problem might not be price but size.

Some ovens have no standard sizes and finding trays and pans that fit is a real headache.

Even though, I didn't use foil on baking trays, but my actual oven is staining with ease, including the tray, so I have started using foil when baking, and certainly best of all is making easier the cleaning :)

18. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I recently started using parchment paper. I find this works much better in some cases compared to tin foil, especially for baking cookies.
    It is very easy because it saves so much time rather than having to clean the pan, especially when some of the cookies burn against the pan.
    Does anyone else love parchment paper?

19. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm still using my silicone baking mats on the baking sheets, but I've recently started lining my bread pans with foil. Not the round cake pans, but the rectangular deeper pans used for pumpkin and banana breads. I'm tired of trying to get the gunk out of the crevices on them, and aluminum foil is relatively inexpensive, so it's worth it to me. I'm going to replace a few of my baking sheets, because they're really discolored from before I started using the foil and mats, because I like it when the sheets look clean and new.

20. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have used foil to line baking sheets before. I have used it so that it is not as messy to clean up. Especially since I am the one having to do all the dish washing to begin with. I had no idea that it could help extend the life of baking pans that way. I also think that lining the stove with foil is a good idea if frying something.