Using Google Voice

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Theo • Jun 29, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a google voice number which I use when I don't want to give out my cell phone number, but it also diverts from me cell phone as voicemail. The great thing is the messages can be listened to or transcribed in an email too.

You do have to use the number as I have lost a couple as I didn't use them, so google do recycle them, but it's Handy to have if you don't have voicemail or you don't like to access it.

2. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Google voice in the past. I liked how it would transcribe voicemails and send them to me either as texts or emails, but the transcription was very off. Also, because they recycle numbers so often, most of the calls I received were "wrong numbers" and became more hassle than it was worth. This was years ago, so I'm sure advances have been made since then.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had something like this years ago, and had forgotten all about it until I read this post. I really don't like giving out my phone number, and people often ask for it when selling online, so this is something I will look into, as an alternative means of communication, so thank you for posting it.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use it for sign ups when they insist on a number. They do send you a warning when they are about to recycle your number, but you can always sign up and pick another one later. I have so many gmail accounts I've lost track of things, but they can be good as a free way to have a number that you choose.

Many places don't let you choose your number or give you a limited selection, so at least with google voice you can choose the area code as well.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought to use it for various sign-ups and online shopping. I am always so hesitant to give out my number. This is a really good idea!

6. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Indeed. In fact, I have several Google Voice numbers at the ready for any situation which needs them. I usually use them when signing up for services that require them, mainly for the free calls to other states and having stronger filtering tools for potential spammers. Though, I may need to switch if Google decides to make this service paid.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been known to give out my old cell phone or home phone numbers in those instances. I feel bad for those who have the numbers currently, but I also get calls and mail for people who've had this number and this address many years back, so I guess it's probably something a lot of people do. I find it intrusive when companies insist on getting a phone number, especially when I have no intention of speaking to them.

8. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I do not use Google voice at all. I have come to have a strong distrust of Google unfortunately because of the way the way they have been hacked for my accounts in the past.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's not really Google's fault, though, is it? Did you set up two-factor authentication to provide better protection? Did you institute a strong password that's impossible to guess? Did you use all of the safety features included in Gmail? I've never had a single account hacked in my lifetime, not even while using less-than-secure passwords. Google's security features are more than good enough, if you elect to use them.

10. Frank Z

Frank ZNew Member

Threads:
    I use it as my "public" number as well. I also like how you can differentiate known callers from unknown callers and have the latter go direct to voicemail. I also have my various phones' voicemails set to use Google Voice. Conditional forwarding also goes back to Google Voice so my other phones ring if my main one is off. Great stuff... I'll be porting my main number to Google Voice once my minutes are done.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Y
    Yes, I once considered using google voice because a friend wanted my number and I wasn't sure that I could trust him with it. I wish I would have used google voice on one site that I signed up for because since that time I have been inundated with phone calls. I will have to look into getting it for just such occasions.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have recently thought about getting a Google voice number to give out instead of my Skype number for some of the stuff I sign up for online that want to try and sell me more stuff. I know I will forget about it and not use it often, it is good to know I can get another number if it does go unused for some time and is disconnected.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have to use Google Voice for experience although my colleagues in the office say that it is okay for a novelty but not for practical use. But if you are on Skype most of the time, I guess Google Voice is not a necessity anymore. With internet calling, what I use is Viber and Whatsapp, those are what I use to call home when I am abroad because the phone carrier charges so much when calling from another country.