Using office supplies at home

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Peninha • May 27, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is probably not the most legit way to save money, but at the same time if we are working for a public company it's a small way to compensate for the crazy taxes we are paying. So the question is, are you taking office supplies home or is this something you would never do?

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Where I used to work, I had to bring work home with me. Pens, pencils, paper and even software were needed in order for me to do my job effectively. If I needed to send something to work from home, it needed to be in a specific format using a specific piece of software (up-to-date versions). My older stuff wasn't compatible. In my case I had no ethical problems in doing this because my "theft" from work was for work. The fact that I might use the paper for something other than work or the software for personal use was a grey area but not unacceptable in my mind.

When a place I work provides me with a laptop and internet connection at their expense loaded with all of the software I need, then they deserve to control it. Until that day, anyone bringing home supplies from work should be able to do so IF they do some of their work from home.

3. Abqu

AbquNew Member

Threads:
    I would never do it. I'm an ethical stickler, and so I would never take something for my own personal use from work. Now, if I'm doing work at home, that's a different story.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, where I work we have an agreement with Microsoft, so employees can actually ask for Microsoft software to take it home and install it in their personal computers. I think it's a great perk because as we all know Microsoft software is rather expensive. I don't take supplies home either, just some occasional post-its, but I don't think that brings much harm to the world. :)

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I never take anything home from work, be it supplies or work itself :)
    That sounds like a pretty cool agreement with Microsoft Peninha, I'd be formatting my computer every month :D

6. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't work in an office, so this is not a topic for me. I clicked into it thinking it was about using office supplies at home (that you bought). I didnt know this was a thread about stealing haha

If I was working in an office and was getting paid good, then no. If I felt that they should be paying me more, then yes I would take some supplies if needed. I mean, if I did I would not care. But if they pay you well, don't steal.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, not exactly about stealing, there's a valid argument, for example if we are bringing work home why shouldn't we bring supplies as well? It just seems fair in my opinion. Also, in these days when our wages are being cut I think it's wise from some companies to give their employees some perks, like that agreement I mentioned or buying stuff in the company name for the employees to use.

8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's right to bring home office supplies, whether or not you work for the government and you pay tax. I still think that those are meant to be used in the office and if you bring it outside, that's almost equivalent to stealing. Besides, office supplies are not that expensive and you certainly don't need that much at home, so why bring it home in the first place?

There are also some companies who implement very strict rules on this so you may want to be careful or else you may get embarrassed in the office for getting a disciplinary action for bringing home office stuff.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is true wander-n-wonder, but at the same time let's face it, I am paying hundreds of dollars per month taxes and at the same time I need to pay toll when I go on the roads, I need to pay for a doctor when I go to the hospital, I need to pay for a teacher for my kids go to school, so what exactly are my taxes for? Is that right too?

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, this is something I won't ever do if the supply is a common supply, meaning that we share it in the office. But if it were just entitled for my own use, then I don't see anything wrong of that supply to bring home and use for works I do at home related to my job, office works at home. I wouldn't consider this stealing or exploiting office resources. On the other hand, if I am sharing those supplies to a lot of my office mates, then I wouldn't dare to take it along with me at home. I don't want other people to have something to say about me like to be accused that I am a thief.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At my office is pretty crazy actually, everything disappears from our desks, we are always looking for pens to write. It's a real large company and there's no control, so I don't know who takes the stuff, but someone is because they cannot be vanishing in the air. It's been happening for quite some years now.