Using The Water Only Method For Hair

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Blossom • Oct 8, 2015.

1. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I've recently come across some ladies on YouTube who are using only water to cleanse their hair. One person spoke of what a mess her hair was the first couple of weeks and then gradually it began thrive with this method. She loved the results so she decided to continue. Another did it for a season and and she loved the results as well, but she only wanted to do it as an experiment, so after some time, went back to using products. Has anyone tried this method?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Water alone won't cleanse your hair properly as there is nothing to dissolve the dirt and grease (or build up of products) obviously if you are stuck in the jungle or wilderness and you have nothing but water then you have no choice.

Some men only use water and think they have washed their hair in the shower without shampoo because it was wet. Not the case, wet hair is a rinse and that's why some men get dandruff and a build up because they don't use shampoo to cleanse. It's like washing your hands without soap; much cleaner with soap than a rinse with just water.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:No and it's not for me at all. Living in the tropics we get very hot and humid days and I clean my hair with products daily when it's hot. I perspire a lot so it's important that I have clean hair so I wash with products only. Hygiene wise I don't think it's good that you don't use products-best to ask your Salon about it. I would never, never use only water for cleansing.:confused:

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely couldn’t get away with it. I use hair product most of the time, so the buildup would be pretty intense. Plus even if I go without product for a while, my head just feels kind of itchy and gross if I go too long between shampoos. I tend to sweat a lot, so frequent washing is just a part of my life anyway.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yuk, that sounds awful. I couldn't get away with just using water, not in a million years. Besides, I love that clean feeling that washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner gives me.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I've used the baking soda wash/vinegar rinse method for about three months. It sucked a lot for the first 3 weeks but then it worked okay the rest of the time. My hair was short then but it's long enough to sit on now and I need more conditioning (which is why I use WEN). I typically only shampoo/condition every 3-4 days and if I know something has gotten in my hair in between (i.e. swimming), I'll rinse my hair with just water in between.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can be very humid in my area causing lots of sweating and bugs hanging in the air when you walk down the street. I have to wash my hurt often during the summer with soap and if I think the little bugs got into my hair while I was out it gets washed again. I have rinsed my hair with just water if I washed my hair ealier that day to avoid drying my hair out.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would never do that! My hair is oily so the most I ever was without washing it was 5 days to see if it reduced a little of the oil (they say if you wash less your hair will eventually get less oily), but it isn't for me. It becomes an oil mess and looks gross!!

9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I keep seeing the water only method as well. I think some of these women use harsh shampoo and don't even realize it. Then they think the water only method works when what really works is getting rid of that shampoo or shampooing less often. People need to do their research before they start advocating bad information.

10. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    That makes great sense. That definitely could be a factor in the change they are experiencing. I surely didn't think about it in that way.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't think that using water only as a way to clean your hair is practical and hygienic, because water can't remove the oil and dirt from your scalp. And if they don't get removed, those oils become thick and flaky dandruff will appear on your scalp. So it's best to always use shampoo or even soap if you're on a budget to clean your hair.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OMG this sounds gross to me! These people are always refining these methods, and they just seem to progressively get worse. I mean, what next, not washing your hair at all?? I think Jasmine2015 raises some very good points.

I couldn't do the apple cider vinegar and baking soda thing or the no poo method, let alone this one. My hair needs a good wash and conditioner. Plus I like for it to smell gorgeous :)

13. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Shampoo always makes my hair terrible, so I've water washed for year/ You have to do it more frequently, but I find better results. It may well be the type of shampoo I'm using, but water is fine for me so I've never bothered investiagting.