Using Up Bread

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Jul 22, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bread doesn't tend to hold up very well during the hot summer months around here, so I often end up having to keep it in the fridge (which I really don't like to do). It doesn't get eaten as quickly once it's been refrigerated either. I don't want to waste it, because that wastes money.

So, how do you use up your bread? I have a few suggestions:

- Make bread crumbs. It's easy to do. Let the bread sit out until it starts to feel a little bit hard and then toss it in the blender. You can add seasoning or make plain bread crumbs.

- Make stuffing. If you don't want to turn on the oven when during hot weather, try your favorite recipe in the Crock pot or slow cooker.

-Make bread pudding. This one works well in a toaster oven but could also work in the Crock pot.

How do you use up bread?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen a lot of people lately stating that they keep their bread in the freezer, and only take it out a piece or two at a time. I used to always keep in in a basket on top of the refrigerator back home, but it's so humid down here that if I do that, it's moldy within a day or two. I keep the current loaf in the fridge, and usually an extra one in the freezer.

Occasionally, I will have extra bread that I want to use up, and on those occasions, I will make a large batch of french toast, then I keep a few pieces in the fridge for the next day or two, and freeze the rest, to take out and toast when I want them. I also sometimes use it in bread pudding, which is a nice treat I enjoy on occasion.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My bread very rarely goes bad, because like Diane Lane says, I put mine in the freezer. As soon as I get home from buying it, it goes in the freezer and the good thing is that it keeps for up to a month before you have to chuck it. Freezing it always seems to retain the freshness and flavour, and it even tastes fresher!

@Diane Lane@Diane Lane....I absolutely love current loaf! Do you make it or buy it from your local store?

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We keep leftover bread in the fridge to avoid getting tough. When the leftover bread is 2 days old, it is still fine to be eaten although it has to be toasted (since it is cold in the fridge). But after that duration, what we do is pizza bread. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients - bread, tomato paste, cheese (any kind but mozarella is best, cheddar is good), ham or any breakfast meat like spam, white onion, green bell pepper.

Procedure: Slice the bread to serve as pizza crust. Apply tomato paste on the surface. Sprinkle cheese generously. Place the meat for the topping together with sliced onion and strips of bell pepper. Toast until the bread is brown. Serve hot with hot sauce and drinks.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Bread always goes in the fridge because of the heat in summer, but I do make croutons from old bread when there is too much too. You can also use it to make your own homemade burgers, and it's good to make fried bread although not that healthy, but yummy.

I also find if you make a grilled cheese, bread from the fridge that is older is much easier to use

6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    I always buy fresh bread that is just being baked and I am always particular with the expiration date. We also put our bread in the refrigerator so that it will not easily get molds. Sometimes there are instances when we are not in the mood to eat bread and we just take out of the refrigerator a few pieces and spread some butter and sprinkle it with a little sugar and then heat it upside down in a pan over the stove. This is my favorite thing to do for using up bread and I always eat this together by drinking my favorite fresh mango juice or peach juice.

7. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Is that what y'all call bread pudding? I use white, Italian, or French bread to make bread pudding (although I would definitely consider using rye or marble rye, if I ever had any leftovers), and I like a mixture of regular and golden raisins, if I have both on hand. I usually use half and half (a milk/light cream mixture), since it makes it richer and creamier, and am always happy with the results. I was going to make rice pudding, but now I'm torn between that or bread pudding. Maybe rice now and bread pudding later. I love both just about equally.

. I think you could probably substitute or add currants if you decided to use this recipe @Lushlala@Lushlala, or feel free to share your recipe with me, I'd love to have it.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I notice the bread starting to get moldy I will put it in the refrigerator. I do freeze things like bagels that I might not use that quickly and might tend to get moldy. When I have a lot of bread and it is starting to get stale, I will often make French Toast. It is a good way to use up bread, and I generally have milk and eggs as well. I don't us eggs that fast usually so French Toast is a good way to use some of them too.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have a small family of 2, so we freeze too our bread. Some people do bread pudding with your favorite ingredients or make french toast. We buy from Love's bread Thrift shop so we definitely freeze it. Not bad putting it in wet paper towel for a few seconds in the micro or toast it up for a nice PBJ. You don't waste because you freeze bread.

* Recipe for sweet french toast from Food Network:

!

My recipe for french toast of 4 bread is simple. Make skillet warm on stove. One egg, milk for 4 bread pieces, splash of nutmeg & cinnamon with Stevia about a table spoon. Add butter to your skillet before you ready to fry up your french toast. Leave enough wet mix for all 4 bread pieces. Sugar free syrup with 3 veggie bacon pieces then breakfast is served.

* Recipe for old fashioned bread pudding:

I buy my bread pudding. You could add your family's favorite stuff in both your recipes. Enjoy!

10. Lushlala

Threads:
    Oh Diane Lane, you give me too much credit LOL I can't bake to save my life LOL Sadly, I always get mine from my local supermarket. As nice as it is, I bet it would taste a lot better if I made it from scratch. I reckon making it would still be a bit easier than making a cake, though. So maybe, just maybe, I'll give it a go one of these days. If it doesn't work as well as I hope it does, I'll just go back to getting it from the supermarket LOL

11. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Ha ha, @Lushlala@Lushlala I have faith that you can do it. All it takes is some patience and a good recipe. I looked for one that uses currant bread, but didn't find one.

might be good, it seems pretty easy, and you could always leave out the brandy and ginger to make it even easier. If that one seems too complicated, I'm sure you could find a simple one, using whatever your preference of ingredients is. Using the cinnamon raisin bread (or currant bread) should cut back on the steps. I might add in some craisins with the raisins, or just use them by themselves. If you're not familiar, they're dried cranberries. They probably sell them there, but perhaps under another name, in case you're interested in using them. I hope you do find a recipe you want to try. There's so much satisfaction in making something yourself that you really enjoy eating :).

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You guys have some good (and tasty) ideas. I recently heard of a "bread and butter" bread pudding that sounded pretty easy. It actually sounds like the finished product would be similar to French toast, only baked. Two birds with one stone?

You butter up some slices of bread, lay them in a greased baking dish, beat some eggs and cream, pour it over the top, add some cinnamon and sugar, and bake it. You could add raisins or apples or something as well. I'm sure there are other (maybe better) recipes, but that one sure sounded like one anybody could try.

I do make toast for lots of stuff too, when I want to use the bread.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am going to have to try the crouton idea. I usually use up all of my bread before the stage that it gets old, but I could probably make them out of some rolls or buns or something like that. I don't usually use the crusts of the bread so I guess that could be something I could use for croutons if need be.

14. Lushlala

Threads:

Lordy Lord, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane, that link you attached, the picture of the cinnamon bread is beyond mouthwatering!!!! I just sat there looking at it, mouth hanging open, probably drooling hehe. Thanks for the recipe, I really appreciate it. Chances are mine probably won't look as pretty haha. Yes, I think I'll probably skip the brandy because my husband doesn't like alcoholic drinks in any food whatsoever. I'll probably scale back on the ginger too. Luckily, we do have craisins here, which I often throw in my natural yoghurt.

I totally agree with you, "there's so much satisfaction in making something yourself that you really enjoy eating." -and even better if the people you serve it to enjoy it!

15. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Welll, first of all I have a ceramic bread box and bread holds up really well in it. It is typical to have fresh, soft bread stored for a month in that bread box. And I too, have a great recipe for bread pudding. But I like only white bread for that. You can make croutons quite easy also. Just cut into pieces, spray with butter spray, and dry out the bread in a 225 oven for an hour. Wonderful in salads.

16. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to turn it into breadcrumbs mostly, but sometimes I'll freeze it as well. It takes up so much space in the freezer though and as I don't have a very big freezer that can be an issue. I've used it to make summer pudding before too and that tends to make it more likely to get used up because it's edible and sweet. That seems to make food go more quickly in our house!

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I freeze the bread and what we don't eat I give to the animals when it gets stall. Or make bread crumbs but we don't use a lot of bread crumbs.

18. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Yum @Zyni@Zyni that sounds easy and delicious. I never thought of making it in a baking dish that way. That might be something @Lushlala@Lushlala would want to try, since it sounds quick, easy and delicious. I'd definitely add in some craisins or raisins, and maybe even some sliced almonds for added flavor.

19. Lushlala

Threads:
    Thanks for the recipe, @Zyni@Zyni :) It sure sounds easy, and @Diane Lane@Diane Lane, that's definitely something I could rustle up. I've had bread and butter pudding and like it. It's a very English thing, and being married to an Englishman, it was always something I was going to come across sooner rather than sooner. I always knew it wasn't hard to make, but seeing the recipe shows me just how easy it is. I'll surprise my husband one of these days :)

20. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I usually place the bread in the fridge to keep fresh, because if I don't the heat would cause it to spoil after a few days. I am not a lover of bread pudding so my bread wouldn't be used to make that sort of stuff. I have no problem with using up the bread withing the space of a week because I would use to make thinks like egg sandwiches, bread and butter and the likes