Using Up Stale Bread

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Feb 10, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    What do you do with any stale bread that you didn't get around to eating in time?

Personally, I'll either freeze the bread, turn it into bread crumbs (and potentially freeze those too) or use the bread to make something such as summer fruit pudding or Apple (or other fruit, if I have it to use up) charlotte. It can also be fine for toast, I find.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cube the bread, sprinkle it with garlic , herbs and Parmesan and cook it in an oiled pan to make quick salad croutons. I found the idea on Pinterest, and considering that croutons aren't cheap, it has saved me a few bucks over time.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of uses for stale bread. I'll either freeze and use it for toast another day or I'll throw it into the food processor and turnt into bread crumbs and then free the bread crumbs. I've used stale bread as the topping for French Onion soup. This is great if you have an old French/Italian loaf. If I have the rest of the fixings I'll take stale bread and make stuffing with it and serve it as a side dish for pork chops or chicken. You can also take the stale bread and soak it in milk and add it to meatloaf or meatballs. This keeps it really moist.

4. Charon LeFleur

Charon LeFleurNew Member

Threads:
    I typically only use bread for toast so I have the luxury of freezing it upon purchase and using whenever it suits me. But freezing even when it starts to stale probably makes it safe if you enjoy toast too.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I crumb the bread and feed the birds and squirrels in my yard. We don't use a lot of bread crumbs or eat dressing. I am the only person in the house that likes bread pudding so the bread goes to the birds. I have a few squirrels that come to the window to remind me to feed them when it has been a few days that I have not put anything out for them.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well there is an island favorite for old bread and it's bread pudding. I have never made home made bread pudding because I have no time for baking. Here is a typical recipe for bread pudding:

Another easy bread pudding I found:

I love nuts so I'd add nuts and other fruits. I just found dates at Walmart too and it's so delicious with no added sugar too!

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't actually have stale bread very often. Since it is humid here, the bread tends to turn moldy rather than stale, so that is no good to anyone, as far as I know. In the summer time I usually have to put bread in the refrigerator because it will mold within a few days otherwise.

8. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Either using it as bread crumbs or deep fry them and eat them with butter and sugar or other kinds of seasonings like cinnamon, etc. My roommates used to do that all the time and I caught on that habit as well so I started to experiment because I definitely do not want to throw away stale but not moldy bread.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know what you mean by stale bread but when our bread has signs of mold, we throw them away. To avoid molds, we keep the old bread in the vegetable section of our fridge. When we have extra time, my husband would make it into pudding. The bread is crushed by hand into the smallest pieces and them mixed with milk, egg, butter and garnishings like raisins or sometimes banana. Baking is easy with the oven so in a moment we would have something for snack.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use it for soups most of the time. I love soup and I always have some instant soup packs or cans around or sometimes I have my own in the freezer and usually they are great to have with some bread put in them. The best thing about this is that the bread sort of melts in the hot soup so you don't even notice that it's old or that a moment ago it was as hard as a brick. I don't enjoy sweet desserts all that much so I don't get to use it for that but sometimes I'll chop them up and turn them into croutons by putting them into the oven for a while.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Having stale bread is extremely rare in my household - as it generally gets consumed long before it gets any where near the point of going stale in my household - which I have to say is fortunate - particularly as - because bread here has to be bought daily - as it goes so solid in less than 24 hours that it would easily serve as an imitation ornamental rock - as no amount of soaking, grinding and even a chainsaw wouldn't cut through it - there is - much as I hate doing this - no other option than to throw it out.

It is however a totally different matter if its home-made bread - as that - unless it gets used for toast - I usually chuck in the blender and turn it into breadcrumbs - which are then used for thickening or mixing into toppings and coatings for both sweet and savory dishes.

12. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Breadcrumbs is the first things that comes to my mind. They are great to have on hand with some salads and some soups of you put a little spice on them and bake them for a little while. I always end up munching on them as snacks too, which is what happens every time I buy crackers or croutons too, so that makes sense.