Vaccinate a pet yourself?

Discussion in Pets started by Denis Hard • Jun 15, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For someone who has had pets vaccinated [assuming you keep the same kind] after a number of trips to the vet you can tell or ask them what drug they use to vaccinate your pet with. If you are a keen observer, you can even take note of the exact quantity of the drug you should administer. So supposing you have this information, should you cut out the vet's fees and vaccinate the pet yourself?

Would you do it to save cash instead of simply opting not to take the pet to the vet?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Back in my mother's village, we have a guy from our local vet which usually comes few times a year and vaccinates our pets for a very low pay. So we usually just wait for him to come instead of going to the vet ourselves.

But if we had to though, if we know how to do it then of course we'd prefer to do it ourselves. We have a lot of pet and it would be quite expensive to bring them all at once to the vet.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I stayed with my grandpa many years ago, if any of the cows he reared were sick, he'd call a vet to look at the animals. After he'd made a diagnosis, the stingy old man would ask pay him for his service, ask him about drugs that would be administered, the right dosage, etc and he'd do the rest of the stuff himself. This saved him paying the vet to come over everyday.

So while technically a cow is not a pet, attending to a pet yourself once you've got prescriptions can be good for your wallet.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Are the drugs available to buy without being a qualified doctor or vet though? There are certain types of painkillers that you can only get via a doctor so I find it hard ot believe that you can just walk ino a store and buy drugs to administer to your pet or animals that could be dangerous in the wrong hands.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Some of them can be purchased online.

But for me, no, I wouldn't do it myself. Even if I knew what kind of medicine and more or less how to do it, I am NOT a doctor. And I actually have a dog now who has a slight limp at times because of a vaccine he got as a puppy. It wasn't done properly and it damaged part of the nearby muscle. I wouldn't want to risk that even more by doing it myself!

6. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    Oh golly, I'm pretty cheap, but I think that's about where I draw the line! I think getting regular visits to the vet ultimately can end up saving you money in the long run however. Preventative care is definitely good for people and pets. Just my suspicion, but I'm open to hearing other points of view.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't be messing around with vaccinating your pet yourself. I'm assuming you would buy the supplies online or something and try to administer it yourself? Unless your a vet tech and know how to do these things already I wouldn't try to do that because you could accidentally mess up and harm your pet if you don't know what you're doing.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I would feel a little apprehensive at first, but if I was shown exactly how to do it, then I would go ahead with it. My main concern would be to not accidentally hurt my animals in some way. A friend of mine vaccinates her cows and horses herself. But she wouldn't do it with her dogs and cat. She tells me that she gets too nervous with small animals, as they can be unpredictable, and she could end up jabbing herself in the leg if she isn't careful.

9. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    I would no more vaccinate a pet myself than I would myself, or my children. There's being frugal, and then there's just being insane.