Vacuum Coolers For Laptops? Are They Effective?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Harlek • Sep 19, 2015.

1. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    I was browsing through cooling fans and I saw a laptop cooler that you apparently plug in the side of your laptop where the heat comes out and supposedly the cooler vacuums out the hot air making your laptop well, cooler.

I personally haven't tried one before and I wanted to know if they actually work because, although they're not that expensive, but compared to regular laptop cooling fans they're a bit pricier. Has any of you tried if before? If so is it effective? Because if it is, I might buy one, it looks kinda cool.

Here's a picture of the thing by the way.

51RRp94ZQhL._SY355_.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've tried one and it works alright. I didn't get an expensive one though but even then it worked just fine. The only complaint I have is that it's a little in the way and it's much harder to move the laptop around with this sticking out, but it does work better for laptops that have fans on the side since the coolers or fans that are under only helps somewhat. I still favor those, to be honest, but mostly just because they are easier to move around, and if you don't plan on doing so or if you don't think you'll be annoyed with a fan constantly beside the laptop then I guess it is okay.

3. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Well it depends on what your definition of "effective" is. If you you mean reduce the temperature a few notches then yes it does a great job doing that but if you're expecting some massive heat reduction then you might be disappointed.

I have one of those and they're quite alright. They do reduce it, sometimes leaving the laptop fairly cool but once you start doing heavy computer stuff and the fan kicks in then it might have a hard time keeping the heat and temp at a minimum. But for what it's worth I think it's a good product.

My only complaint about it is that it keeps detaching from the heat vent, had to put tape on the thing just to keep it in place.

4. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    I'm fine with it sticking out like a tumor on the side since my laptop pretty much sits in one spot when I'm working. But when it comes to actual heat reduction, does it do well? I'm guessing it's not going to take away all the heat but I was just wondering if it actually makes the laptop cooler, like maybe a few degrees down? I've seen a lot of reviews but most of them are very vague.