Vaseline For Skin

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Blossom • Nov 20, 2015.

1. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I have very sensitive skin, so I can use many products that are on the market now. I have even tried natural products like shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, argan oil, sweet almond oil, and castor oil. Every one of them caused a breakout. Recently, I went back to something my mom used on my face when I was a child and that was plain old Vaseline. I haven't had any new breakouts and it does not irritate my skin at all. I have seen some info that states that petroleum jelly is harmful, but for now, that is what I will be using until I figure out what is causing my body to react negatively to other natural products. Besides, some models say petroleum jelly is one of their beauty secrets and helps keep them looking younger.

2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have Shea butter, coconut oil, and Vaseline. I have to admit that when I can't find my lip gloss fast enough and I have to leave the house, I will use vaseline. I don't have any problems with using Shea Butter and coconut oil so I continue to use it as well. I will use these products when we don't have any lotion in the house. I mostly will use vaseline on the parts that will be covered by my clothes because I hate walking around with a shiny face unless I know I'm not going anywhere too soon.

3. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    If I use the Vaseline on my face, it is usually at night or if I will not be going anywhere that day. I can use a little bit of Jergens lotion on my face and not have too many problems, but everything else seems to cause irritation or a breakout. Actually, although I know we are still supposed to moisture even if we have oily skin, it causes my face to become even more oily. So, I usually don't use a moisturizer except on really cold days.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I've used vaseline on my lips when they are super chapped. Many of my students who are from Somalia swear by it. They usually have a jar of it by the door and their mom slathers it on their face before they leave. They always have the most beautiful soft looking skin. My caregiver will put Vaseline on the kids' faces when she takes them outside to play in the winter time. It helps to prevent windburn and frostbite on their faces.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I tried looking up non-petroleum alternatives for Vaseline but it seems they’re all made with similar natural ingredients, which is obviously a problem if they irritate your skin. But from what I’ve read, as long as you’re using real Vaseline (rather than a knock-off) on clean skin, you’re probably okay. I prefer coconut oil myself because I’m one of those who doesn’t break out from using it, but I’ve used Vaseline in a pinch, especially on chapped lips.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Blossom, I'm really surprised that the natural oils you've tried like Argan and Coconut didn't agree with your skin! Those are supposed to be some of the purest, natural oils. Well, that's if you went for the organic, unrefined and unscented versions. Not all natural oils are created equal, sadly.

But I'm glad vaseline is working wonders for you. I personally wouldn't use it on my skin, especially my face. Petroleum is not good for skin, which is why I'm surprised it works better than the oils you tried. But then again, if it works on baby skin, maybe it's not so surprising. You just have to stick with what works for you, I guess.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes using an emollient will calm the skin down. Many things can cause reactions, like medication. As for natural products, people don't realize that they can cause reactions because they are unstable. Once opened and if air gets into them, they are 'contaminated' which is why more companies use sealed pump dispensers.

Also people who have over exfoliated, or have used creams and serums with acids, also have compromised the skins natural protection barrier and that leads to heightened sensitivity. These maybe some of the reasons why.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Natural doesn't always mean good for you. Our skin relies heavily on what goes into our bodies, not onto it. Though taking care of our skin itself if obviously a good idea.. even the most natural products can clog the pores.. with that and dirty air, depending where you live and how high traffic it is, it can lead to irritation. I won't use anything that blocks my skin's natural functions, I concentrate more on what I put IN my body. Whatever works! :)

9. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I’m a huge fan of Vaseline as well. I have sensitive skin too and I can’t use any lotions with fragrance. Olive and coconut oil don’t irritate me at all so I mostly stick to using them.

However, I use Vaseline a lot too. Especially when I my skin starts to crack. It seals and protects the skin. I love that it is so heavy. Sometimes in the winter months my hands get so dry Vaseline is all that will soften my skin.

10. Lushlala

Threads:
    @KimmyMarkks.... That actually gives me an idea, because I get very dry feet that can also crack. I'm thinking maybe Vaseline would work a treat on them. I'm also thinking I could try it on my dry cuticles. I find that it doesn't work quite as well on my hands, and I don't like the tacky feeling it leaves on my hands.

11. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of using vaseline on my skin. It really helps with cracked hands and removing make up around the eyes. I think it is a good fix especially for very dry skin. Also, since it doesn't have fragrance in it, it is great for sensitive skin.

12. Lushlala

Threads:
    I guess because Vaseline's good for baby skin, which tends to be very sensitive, it's safe to use. The only thing I'd be concerned about is it clogging up my pores and causing a lot of breakouts. Does anyone use it on their face, and have you noticed whether or not it can lead to pimples? I've already got very oily skin that's acne prone, so I don't want to make it any worse than it already is LOL

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't consider petroleum jelly, or other petroleum based products, to be healthy. At the same time, the "healthy" stuff doesn't work for you. Sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do.

Petroleum jelly, even the off brand as opposed to Vaseline, is also good for keeping lips soft. It works well for areas that are prone to dry, cracking, skin such as hands, elbows, knees, and heels too. My skin becomes extremely dry during cold weather.

I use Oil of Olay products now, but I used to use Vaseline.

14. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    Oh wow that is really amazing! It would be nice if it prevented me from breaking out. I always tend to break out when I drink soda haha. I need to get me some Vaseline to see if it works out. I always love to try new things. I think my mother used to use Vaseline on me, but I forgot why she did... I think it has more uses to it as well. But I could be thinking of something else... So yeah anyways that would be awesomesauce!

15. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to saving money I have found few products that can compare to having a big old jar of Vaseline around. You can use it for everything, from dry skin to chapped lips to cuts and scrapes to wrinkles, it is easily the most versatile skin product that I have seen, and I cannot do without it. Not having to buy chap stick and all those other products is a great way to save some money.

16. Lushlala

Threads:
    Out of the blue, I have recently started breaking out again; big, massive, cystic acne that sticks around for longer that I'd prefer them to. Well, let's face it, I'd much rather they never appeared in the first place. i thought I had it under control, but apparently not!

So I now know for a fact, I won't be going anywhere near the Vaseline thing at all, as I reckon it would just make my skin worse. I get the feeling that vaseline may well work only for people with near flawless to flawless skin, with extremely dry skin.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried Vaseline yet for my skin, but I would suggest the soaps that I have personally tried, like Oilatum and Cetaphil, they are perfect for sensitive skin, so you might want to try it out.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you tried cocoa butter? You mentioned shea butter, but not cocoa butter. It's great for the skin and for moisturizing the lips.

No, I do not use Vaseline. I'm not a big fan of petroleum based products for the skin.

19. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I use Vaseline all the time but only on my lips, I have oily skin so I can't apply it on my face. Also I've never heard of anyone using it complain of a reaction, but it it does cause your skin to break out, then by all means stop.
    All the best finding something that works for you, I know it must be frustrating to be allergic to so many skin lotions.