Vegan cheese called Daiya

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ruth B. • Jun 5, 2014.

1. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not vegan, and not dairy free. But occasionally I do eat either veggie or vegan or supplement with non meat and non dairy foods. I'm like many people nowadays that don't have labels. :)

I know if you have gone thru all the non dairy type cheese, and said yuck, yuck, yuck, I don't blame you. I have too. Until I tried daiya. It's not made of soy. Which is huge. As that is the base of most of the non dairy cheeses.

Daiya comes in shreds, blocks and spreads. It melts like dairy cheese. To me it tastes most like dairy cheese than the other brands. It actually has a delicious taste of it's own, and while the other's may try to intimate the taste of cheese, (and fail) daiya to me tastes good on 'it's own'.

Anything you can make with dairy cheese, you can do with daiya. I especially love the different flavors such as pepperjack, and creamy garlic havarti.

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the tip. Even though I'm lactose intolerant, I still eat regular cheese. The only non-dairy cheese alternative that I heard of way soy cheese. My apologies to those who eat it, but it smells horrible. It smells like my nephew's smelly feet. I have no idea what it taste like because I can't eat anything that doesn't smell appetizing.

I am going to see if my favorite store carries it on my next visit.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't eat meat. I want to be a vegan. But one thing that I can't call myself such yet is because I still haven't given up dairy products yet, especially cheese. I am not yet fully aware of the substitutes. I know some, but they don't really do well as substitutes so I am still in doubt if I really can make myself dairy-free. But with this Daiya, to know to taste almost like a dairy cheese, opens a new light to me. I am surely going to try it. Although I doubt if I can make myself dairy-free, I don't discard the idea and hope to make myself be.

4. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    My fathers girlfriend is vegan, and she's head over in heels in love with Daiya cheese! She just made the leap from vegetarian to vegan, which is a pretty huge thing for her, since she loves cheese. She really likes the jalapeno version that they have; she uses it in practically everything. The vegan cheese that I ate when I was younger was Soya Kass. But, as I've gotten older, things with too much soy or that is straight up soy (like, soy milk or soy cheese) has started to make me sick. I don't know if it's from eating so often when I was a kid, or just that I've gotten older and my taste and stomach have changed.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a vegan and I use to eat vegan cheese it's been a long time since I've eaten it but from what I could remember it still had a bit of dairy in it and I didn't particularly enjoy it. I may try it again to see if it's improved it would be nice to have a grilled cheese sandwich again lol. It's been years.