Vegan Fitness?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by lollie • Feb 10, 2015.

1. lollie

lollieNew Member

Threads:
    Just checking to see if there are any vegans that are in to fitness training? I consider myself to be semi-vegan as I can let go of eggs or chicken (everything else I consume is pretty much vegan). Besides the delicious and versatile ways to cook eggs and chicken, I'm interested in learning about alternatives/substitutions so that I can one day transition full vegan -- while also maintaining my fitness regimen and goals.

Any tips or advice?

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I would check Mike Dolce's stuff - thedolcediet . com
    You'll get loads of good info! ;)
    Maybe some other nutritionists know more about the vegan thing, but as far as fitness goes, I think the dude it's preety damn good...

Also... I don't mean to mess with you, but isn't Vegan supposed to be zero product animals?
    Even vegetarians let chickens off easy :p

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know what to tell you.. I just get out there and move in ways I find fun and sustainable. I won't go near a gym or make my home into one. But I wanted to say congrats on your decision. No, you're not vegan yet lol.. or even vegetarian.. but being a purist isn't necessary, you're still doing something great. It's a large step you took and you say you're going to continue to try to take out the other animal products.. what you're doing is not only good for you, but such a great thing you're doing for the animals.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a common misconception that vegans can't do weight training or heavy exercise because of their diet. You might need to eat a little more than normal, but your diet isn't going to prevent you from gaining muscle and strength. On the flip side, there are non-vegans who believe that such a diet doesn't mesh well with

5. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what your fitness goals are, with cardio you should be fine to sustain yourself with a vegan free diet, however if you want to get into weight lifting I'd really recommend a vegan whey protein isolate supplement to help make up for the meat you're not consuming.

6. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd drop the chicken as well, that's not really vegan :p. Milk, eggs are acceptable to some people, but pure vegetarians should consider alternative protein sources like soy (tofu/whey powder)

There's no reason why vegan people can't keep fit though. Keep at it and you'll still see gains!

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure what you mean by fitness.. I think many people have different ideas, so I should add, that I know of vegan body builders, which is on the other side of the spectrum from myself lol. So yes.. any level of fitness can be maintained on a vegan diet.

8. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many ways to get plenty of protein, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals in the vegan diet, which support a fitness regime. All the various fruits, vegetables and grains give you nutrients. Plus you have food supplements like spirulina, etc. Even drinking herb teas can help. You can be confident to run, lift weights, do yoga or whatever.