Vegan Scrambled Eggs?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Apr 10, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been contemplating trying out a vegan diet for a while to see if I would like it or not, and how it will net out with my grocery bills and my health in general. Part of me feels like, why bother with vegetarian when I can just go all out vegan? The big thing I would miss the most wouldn't actually be cheese or milk or sour cream, but rather eggs. I've had some of the "vegan" cheeses and I don't mind them actually. However when it comes to eggs, I eat them just about every morning - scrambled, omelettes, fried, poached, etc...

I've seen there are a number of recipes for tofu "scrambled eggs", but I would really like to limit how much soy I am eating, plus buying bricks of tofu every morning to replace eggs will quickly cost me an arm and a leg.

Do any of you on here who are vegan have any other reasonable recipes to make mock scrambled eggs that are vegan and soy free? I would be willing to work with other ingredients such as almond milk, or cashews, whatever.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If you're doing it mostly for financial and health reasons, then I don't see why you should limit yourself entirely to vegan, to be honest. Eggs are super cheap and are a great source of protein, etc, so they're a good exception to include if you can.

As for the actual question, I have had tofu "eggs" before and they weren't that good. It could certainly be because the cook who made them didn't do it very well, but it just wasn't for me. I know some good egg-replacements for baking (flax seed & water is AWESOME), but for eating them as actual eggs, I can't help as much, sorry!

3. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I too have been experimenting with a vegan diet with hopes to one day transition over from vegetarian -- but unfortunately vegan eggs of any type are not good to me. I can't stomach them down without gagging! Sorry! I think it's because I'm southern and was raised on a good batch of scrambled eggs for breakfast, brunch or even breakfast for dinner. So it's hard for me to make that switch. When experimenting with a vegan diet, I just eliminate eggs all together. And the only time I eat tofu is in miso soup!

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I wonder why you are doing things that don't feel comfortable to you diet-wise. If you love eggs and dairy products, then why not eat them in moderation, rather than trying to cut them out completely? There is plenty of information on veganism on the internet, along with sensible recipes. I know of quite a few people who threw themselves head over heels into a vegan diet because they thought it would be a great idea. Some who didn't do enough research, suffered serious nutritional deficiencies.
    I personally would make slow and gradual changes and not eat things that just taste "alright" but that taste great. :) Good digestion starts with you feeling pleasure at the thought of certain foods...

5. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I'm also a little confused by your "if I'm going to be a vegetarian, why not vegan?" mentality. What are your reasons for taking on this new diet? Becoming a vegetarian is already a pretty serious decision, but being a vegan is obviously much more limiting and costly. For the eggs issue: What is it about eating eggs that makes your morally uncomfortable? The eggs are not fertilized, so no life was killed. Is it the treatment of the chickens that produce the eggs we buy? If so, perhaps rather than cutting eggs out altogether, you could make an effort to buy from farms that only keeps chickens in humane conditions, and not for slaughter. You sound like you eat a lot of eggs, so I think finding a moral way to continue doing so will be a better solution for you than giving them up completely.