Vegan?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by isabbbela • Jun 28, 2016.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are any of you vegan? I have decided his week to become a vegan and started this Saturday. I have from then on started to read stuff online, watch documentaries, videos and everything I could to educate myself on being vegan. If you are vegan, I would like to know what you guys usually eat, what you wear and what kinds of brands do you usually use.
    If you are not you are free to share your thoughts as well, just try to educate yourself before in case you or thinking about saying something nasty and impolite about Pe or thinking about saying something nasty and and rude about it.

2. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    My auntie is full vegan, She cook homemade food instead of buying it in food stores or restaurants. She don't trust anything that is not fresh or homemade,
    I don't know how she manages to prepare some food which requires non perishable and food of sort.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Being a vegan is a cost cutting lifestyle. Some even go to the extent of going green and don't have to cook their own food since they eat it raw. Nutritionally, there are many products that cater for this lifestyle but healthwise, its best and cheap too to cook your own food at home. I have tried being a vegan in the past due to some literature I had observed with regard to detox and ended up being a lactovegetarian before finally relapsing.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not want to be too specific with my food choices. I love food so I'd rather not be deprived of certain types of food. Veganism doesn't appeal to me much but I do adopt a balanced diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, meat (pork, beef or chicken mostly), fish (tuna flakes in oil) and egg. I have 2 cheat days where I eat junk food and chocolate to my heart's content.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm vegetarian, and have been for decades, but have vegan days or weeks. It's possible to live a vegan life but can be a little more expensive depending on where you live. Food wise I am okay and there are lots of resources to find recipes and stores now stock more food choices and even restaurants.

Even with cosmetics I try to use vegan products, but the choices are limited and some don't work as well. You should do it slowly, with your diet to make sure you are getting enough protein.

6. isabbbela

Threads:
    I appreciate the comments! I've been loving being vegan, it makes me feel so good. But indeed it ends up being a bit more costly than I though. Not as much as I imagined, though! Surprisingly, there are so many things you can eat that don't cost that much. I've been eating a lot of avocados, bananas, grapes, lettuce, rice, beans and potatoes.

But like it was mentioned, I have a hard time eating out and trusting the food... Just yesterday I went out with my fiancé to eat at a Japanese place and ordered the sliced cucumber salad, rice and steamed veggies. Nothing in the menu said the veggies contained butter, and as Japanese food is not traditionally made with butter I never even cared to ask... When the food arrived and I put the veggies in my mouth, they were swimming in butter!! I returned the plate and had them make another one just with water... I was upset because it was my fault for not asking, but they should have mentioned it was made with butter, didn't they? Many people are lactose intolerant out there... Anyway, I'm slowly learning you need to be really careful and question everything if you want to lead this lifestyle. But I'll learn!

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a way of losing weight, I tried a vegetarian diet for a week. But the lack of protein made me sluggish and sometimes I am drowsy like needing sleep although I did not lack sleep. We are meat eaters at home so maybe my body couldn't make the necessary adjustments because I was always feeling hungry. And since it interferes with my daily routine, I had to go back to my usual food.

8. isabbbela

Threads:
    That is interesting to hear. Ever since I started eating vegan I have actually gained more energy. My food digests easier, so I don't feel sluggish as you mentioned that you do when you do eat meat. The important thing when you are not eating meat, is to replace your protein. I eat a lot of beans and lentils, so maybe that is why I didn't feel as much. It also love to eat avocados. Those have protein that can replace meat protein and maybe that is why a good way not to become weak and sluggish.
    I am also from a family of meat eaters, and their first reaction when I said I don't eat meat anymore is that I'm crazy! But I'm really enjoying this life!

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So awesome you've made the connection! I always want to thank people when they go vegan lol, it really is an amazing thing you're doing. Not only for the animals, but for your health and the planet too. Definitely something to be so proud of. Those who feel sluggish or get sick when switching over aren't eating enough or they aren't eating the right foods to fill their nutritional needs .. like you, if done right, energy will go through the roof. Nothing but benefits all around :)

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have read that vegan is most healthy way of living, but oh so hard growing up with meat tacos, hamburger deluxes, cookies with shortening etc...I know I know vegan is healthier! We try eating mostly vegetarian, but vegan is so fussy. As many have realized it's not a retail thing too having vegan stuff, so I will wait till vegan becomes much more of the norm. Meat and seafood is getting too expensive like organic is expensive, so I'll wait for prices to be better too before going vegan. I do cheat especially when McDonald's has a deal on hamburgers or Taco bell has a great selection for $1 menu.:D

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people get vegetarian and vegan confused. In many commercial kitchens butter is used to cook, and most vegetarians are okay with this. Only vegan and vegetarian places or organic don't use butter, but a myriad of spices instead to flavor.

I am lactose intolerant, but I always ask, and I am pretty good at knowing what I may or may not react to. Being vegan is not always cheaper unless you have your own farm with vegetables, because of the restrictions there are.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only time it gets expensive for me is if I'm trying to mimic a meat or animal based junk food. Vegan food is fake animal based products.. everything else is just food lol. And it's not fussy, it's all quite easy when you think of the lives over your preferences. Over time, it becomes like breathing.. not hard or expensive at all unless you're Iiving in drought or in a food desert. I know some places hike up their veggie/fruit prices, but even in times that's happened in my area I was still able to eat at less than what I did when I was living off of expensive animal products. It's all very much worth it when you get past the addiction, conditioning and lack of ideas...

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could be a vegan, because I love meat so much, and whenever I eat vegetables, I don't seem to feel that full as compared to eating a meal with meat in it.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are more than just veggies to fill your needs and the point is we need to be eating more of the good stuff, less of the bad. Most people that go plant based, still stick to believing they need to eat less so they don't get fat.. which is unhealthy and leads to failure. When we eat foods that give us health, we can eat to satiety without worry. It's not for everyone, I get that. Actually.. it is for everyone, lol, but I understand most won't stick it out long enough to transition. Unhealthy foods are quite addicting.. it's very hard to stop eating them.

15. stream26

stream26New Member

Threads:
    I tend to be vegetarian until about 11 o'clock everyday.:)
    if serious I was pescatarian (vegetarian but also eats seafood) for a few months

16. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    If you're living here in our country. Vegan diet is the most expensive diet so far as most products being sold here are being imported from other countries. Another thing is that, there are few stores that sell vegan products. I cook both vegetarian and vegan foods but the problem I encounter most of the time is where I could find the spices and ingredients to cook. Just say for example seitan--Seitan mimics the texture of meat and it is high in protein which is the best source for vegan and vegetarian diet, this product is very hard to find in our area since we don't manufacturers who makes them in our country, it's either you make your own or you import it. The other product I love cooking is tempeh, and just like Seitan, it's really hard to come by.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I can ever be a vegan. I feel like I won't enjoy food as much if I have to think of every detail I must be careful about. I love food and having different choices of food is more appealing to me. I rather try to make my dishes healthier than completely changing them.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a vegetarian for almost 12 years now though not a vegan since I consume dairy products. I know being vegan is more difficult than being vegetarian besides I use tea and coffee with milk so it is really so difficult to be a vegan. However I am not missing a thing being a vegetarian as we have such a large variety of food that not eating meat or fish etc makes no difference.

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a vegan, but I do agree that the consumption of fresh vegetables is needed for long life. At the very least, I'd like consume a great deal of vegetables at least 3 to 5 times a week, if possible. An increase in veggie uptake and a lowering of meat and sugar intake will help counter the negative health trend going on in the west.

20. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am a vegetarian since over 26 years now and sometimes find it difficult to find food outside that might suit my need. I can't imagine how vegans will get to eat out without contamination. The fact that most restaurants don't cater for vegans make it less popular for them to eat out.