Vegetable Juicing

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Blossom • Dec 3, 2013.

1. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone do any vegetable juicing? I plan to buy a juicer soon and I am excited about fruit juicing, but I'm not so sure I'll enjoy a vegetable juice with raw vegetables. I know there are some people who mix the fruit and veggies, but are there any recipes for just vegetables that taste good?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a Jack LaLane Juicer for a couple years, but honestly the novelty wore off really quick and I hardly used it. There were way too many parts to clean on it, all just to make a glass of juice. The parts alone would fill up more than half of my dish washer. Then, when it comes to the fruits and vegetables themselves, you still need to do prep work on most of them before you can juice them - peeling, cutting, cleaning. In addition, in terms of cost, that starts adding up right away too. I'm not going to get $10 worth of vegetables just to make a glass or two of juice. I ended up selling mine on eBay. You may want to look for a used one to try it out a bit at first to see if you like it.

3. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    I have been thinking about this too blossom, but wondered if it would be annoying to clean, so thanks ohiotom for the info. It certainly sounds like an expensive, and time consuming glass of juice.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use everything in my juices/smoothies. It depends on your taste buds. You might be more apt to mix them to make them more palatable until you're used to it and slowly up your veggies until that's all you have. I definitely didn't like all Veg drinks at first. Now I crave them. I also wouldn't recommend a juicer. Juicers remove the fibre and you want all benefits of these amazing foods. blenders are just fine.. I use a Ninja personally, way easier than anything else I've used and does the best job too. Way easy to clean too, which is great :)

PS: I'd rather prep foods than be unhealthy. In the grand scheme, a couple minutes is completely worth it.

5. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would ever do that if I had a juicer lol. I would only use it to juice fruits not vegetables. I wouldn't even like to juice my fruits along with the vegetables. I know for a fact I wouldn't like how it would taste.

6. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I love juicing. But like tom said above, the novelty wears off. But if you are doing a diet change, this is definitely a great way to go. I've known people to stick to it for years because they made it a part of their culinary lifestyle. As for good all veggie drinks, I can't think of any. But I guess it depends on your taste buds. Veggies aren't known to make the best juices. But if you want to still go that route, go simple with light-tasting veggies. For example, spinach is very light in taste. If you had honey to it, it could be really good. You can also add seasoning like cinnamon. You can also try a spinach, beet and honey mix. But really if you want juice tasting veggie drinks, add a fruit like banana. It'll do wonders. Good luck!

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I forgot to add, the blade on the Jack LaLane juicer is *really* sharp. So much so, that it actually comes with a separate attachment for adding and removing it from the device for cleaning. Thankfully the attachment is magnetic so you can just slap it on your fridge and not lose it. However it is still cumbersome and a bit tricky to hold the blade under a faucet to clean it off. I lost track how many times I cut my fingers handling that thing and trying to scrub it.

Also, if you happen to get the white model of it (or probably any of the juicers) keep in mind that the plastic generally stains pretty easily. So if you are juicing stuff like carrots or beets, it's almost guaranteed you will start to see some permanent staining on the device.

I would almost be more inclined to just start making soups with all of these vegetables rather than going through the trouble of juicing them, personally.