Veggies and Container Gardening

Discussion in Home & Garden started by SEA81 • May 17, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up on several acres of land that my parents and grandfather always turned into a huge garden, and lately, I've been thinking of doing some gardening myself. However, I don't have that kind of space (well, I have woods, nothing suitable for growing), so I'm thinking about container gardening. Does anyone here plant veggies in containers? What can you grow and where is the best place to get them? I don't like tomatoes, so please don't suggest that ;-)

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have herbs in a container on my kitchen window sill which is really handy for cooking. I will be planting what I am calling a salad garden in two large containers next to my back patio. In these I will plant a couple types of lettuce, one cherry tomato plant, cucumbers, radishes and carrots. When planting in containers, you will need to add fertilizer to them occasionally. They also need more water when it gets hotter. The advantage is that containers get far fewer weeds and they are a lot less work to deal with!

3. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    Container gardens can grow nearly anything you grow in the ground. You just have to make sure the container is big enough for the plant's roots, fertilize and water frequently. I know someone who actually grew corn in a pot.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have also seen someone grow corn in a container. I have put flowers in the container and strawberries. They do require more water but less weeding.

5. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    You can grow anything in a container. You just have to make sure you have enough room for these to spread out if they require it. For example, I am growing cucumbers in the containers now and they are spreading over the top and down the sides.

6. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    I agree. I have seen my mother growing some of these in her kitchen too. I am sure even peas & peppers can also be grown in those small containers.

7. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    Peppers are easy, so is lettuce, strawberries, celery, carrots. You can grow just about anything in a container if its the right size.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been thinking of growing veggies in a container since I live in an apartment. I would love to grow my food, but lack of space has held me back. Peppers and lettuce and the main veggies I'm looking to grow. Cucumbers too.

9. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    All my plants are in pots because I only have a tiny garden. You can try planting peppers and okra. They're easy to grow and maintain. You can also try herbs. I have basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary. I'm now planning on planting some lettuce, eggplant and turnips.

10. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    Veggies grown in container gardens can sometimes be easier than growing the normal way. You'll always have the right kind of potting soil and you don't have to worry so much about potential diseases. If you have a patio or deck that gets good sun, direct sun, and your container/pot is large enough, you can maintain a veggie container garden for years. I personally like flower and plant gardens, indoor, outdoor, and container gardens, never really been into the vegetable gardens. However, the care is very similar between the two.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My friends father does this quite extensively, he's got a bunch of large plastic half barrels propped up on cinder blocks and two by fours. Each one is for a separate plant. It's kind of a nice idea because you don't have to bend over and be on your knees so much to take care of the plants. He's got a pretty big garden in his back yard this way.

12. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    The first time I tried growing vegetables in containers it didn't go so well. Someone told me it was because I needed to use fertilizer. Now I am starting up again and I have herbs, a blueberry bush, and a baby lemon bush. My mom used to have a fig tree in a large trash can and I recently communicated with someone online whose family is growing vegetables in recycled food cans. I plan to gradually expand my growing and even build a makeshift greenhouse so I can grow food plants year round.

13. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I have a container garden every year. I grow peppers (bell and jalapeno), blueberries. cucumbers, green beans, strawberries etc. It is a lot of fun and I am planning my garden for the spring.

14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a dwarf lemon and orange tree growing in containers. I have a wide range of herbs, i have cucumbers tomatoes at times melons, but it is mostly gourds as they can grow on my kitchen trellis. I have never had issues with any of those.. practice makes perfect.. get your potting mix right, your plants watering and light needs right and you are a successful container gardener.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi guys. I'm only growing herbs, decorative plants and a couple of celery plants from kitchen scraps.
    But I have a couple of tutorials that I saved to use later on growing vegetables in containers, so I thought I would share them.

Here's one on growing potatoes in a laundry basket.

And here's one on growing tomatoes in containers.

I hope these help.