Venus Flytrap

Discussion in Pets started by joshc428 • Sep 23, 2015.

1. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I have been wanting to buy a Venus flytrap for awhile now, and I think I'm finally going to get one. However, I have no idea how raise one. I'm great with animals, but I have no idea how to care for a pet plant. Anyone have any experience with this plant? In what conditions should I place it? Any general tips for maintenance?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As Venus Fly Traps - although relatively easy in the sense that they don't require too much TLC - can be somewhat tricky to grow - as not only do they need to be kept in a bright but humid environment with good air circulation, poor soil, excellent drainage and to be watered with either distilled water or preferably rain water - but also require different care at varying times throughout the year - rather than cover all those aspects myself - this site should provide you with everything you need to know

I would however just add that if you are planning to grow yours as a fly catcher - as not everyone realizes that carnivorous plants need poor soil in order to be carnivorous and therefore many are sold potted in nutrient rich soil - its very important to check the soil.

Particularly as not only does fertile soil have a tendency to rot the roots but also - as carnivorous plants can't take up nutrients from the soil and because of that have a survival mechanism which allows them to obtain the necessary nutrients they need in order to survive - from insects instead - they become inactive when grown in fertile nutrient rich soil as it causes their natural survival mechanism to shutdown - the latter of which is generally the main reason why people are so disappointed when their Venus Fly Trap doesn't catch flies.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well that is an interesting fact of note about Venus Fly Traps, I have ben interested in these plants ove the years. It is one of the items that seems like it would be fun to have around. It seems like when I have seen them for sale they usually are in nutrient dense soil. I guess I would be worried about the fly trap dying in poor soil though.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    You have me somewhat confused as to why - particularly considering the fact that all plants - not just carnivorous plants - generally do best when grown according to their native growing conditions.

Therefore - I think you would agree - that as the native environment for carnivorous plants is poor soil totally lacking nutrients and - as was previously mentioned - they are not only unable to take up nutrients from the soil - but fertile soil along with added fertilzer can rot the roots and lead to their untimely demise - it would surely be way better - to replicate their natural environment rather than deprive them of it - especially as - they would be more likely to survive - as well as thrive.