Versatile, Inexpensive Polenta

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Sep 29, 2013.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Every once in a while, usually in the Fall, I love making batches of polenta. It really fills me up, and pulls double duty as both a dinner meal, and the leftovers are great for breakfast as well.

For dinner we usually have it freshly cooked, while it is still soft. Then we make a spicy sausage rago and ladle that over it with a generous amount of fresh parmesan to top it off. I can barely finish the plate most of the time because I will get so full off of just a small amount.

For the leftovers, once the polenta sets, you can slice it up and fry it in butter for breakfast. It's a nice change of pace from your typical toast or waffles. A little syrup and butter, and perhaps a side of bacon or breakfast sausage and you're good to go.

I've also heard of people making "polenta fries" with leftovers as well, which also sounds great.

2. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    This sounds delicious! I've seen polenta on Food Network before but I've never tried it. But I have had spoon bread--are the two similar? Polenta fries sound delicious!