Vitamin B12 supplement for vegetarians

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Dora M • Jan 4, 2015.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been a vegetarian for nearly 20 years now, and most of my Vitamin B12 needs are taken care of by taking spirulina as a supplement. I have never really suffered from low energy or any other symptoms that could be associated with any vitamin or mineral deficiencies.
    For you vegetarians and vegans out there, how do you make sure that you get all the nutrients that you need?

2. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a vegan, but I do body building and as a female my vitamin levels tend to get low. Especially Vitamin B12 and Vitamin B6. The way that I try to keep this in control is to increase the amount of leafy greens I eat. I also add a supplement in the mornings. I use Natures Bounty Vitamins and have one for each B I take, as opposed to a B Complex. My endocrinologist said that for vitamin B you should try to take the kind that dissolves because it enters the blood better. These are called Sublingual Vitamins. I have to say he has a point.

As a vegan one of the hardest things to do is keep enough protein in the body. I have the same issue from working out and rather then eat more meat I use a protein supplement. I went with Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein. I add it to my juice in the morning, and toss it into vegetables for dinner. It is fine in a salad. I add chia seed so I am used to different tastes and textures with the greens.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do believe that vitamin b12 supplement is quite important for health. I used to take it regularly for some time. But after some time, I stopped it. I hope to start taking it quite soon.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm also as vegetarian, and I'm also taking a vitamin B12 supplement or vitamin B-complex. But what makes me wary somehow is that I've read that supplements aren't really 100% absorbed in the body, and even worse, to some it's not really absorbable. Of course it's again dependent upon the individuals' genetic makeup. And whoever you ask, you will just hear that it's still best to have it naturally, and that is by diet. So, I think it would be best if we look for vegetables that contain B12, or anything else that's not meat.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I took these tablets when I was younger and I ate Marmite which had Vitamin B12 too, but these days I make sure I have enough protein. If my diet is going to change, for example I am traveling and I can't control everything I eat I will take some supplements, but only then rather than every day. You only need a small amount of B12, but as I eat eggs I am usually fine. vegans would struggle more and it is recommended they take supplements.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have pernicious anaemia so I get a B12 shot from the doctor every two months. I think they are also available in medi-spa clinics. I can always tell when I am due a shot, I get really tired and pale. I find they work quite quickly, I usually feel like a new person the next day.