Vomiting: what to do?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Oct 20, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am always 40, but I am still learning the basics about vomiting, thanks to my kids new pediatrician. I never knew that we should not eat anything or drink after 4 hours or that the important in the first 24 hours is just to keep hydrated. Did you knew this? What are you tips?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I don't know why anyone would eat after puking anyway. I wait until I feel hungry to eat anything and the first thing I eat is light food. It just depends on how much you're puking. If you only puked once, you can probably go back to your normal diet not long after. I also brush my teeth if I think I'm done because the taste just makes me nauseated all over again.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that. It would totally feel weird (and of course taste awful) if you're not going to drink anything right after vomiting. I don't know what's the logic behind this because I'd rather get rid of that nasty vomit smell and aftertaste than endure for hours on end. I have mild hyper so I tend to vomit but it never does go out. Just plain saliva. I still eat and drink within four hours from the time I vomit. I wonder what the side effects will be if we do that.

4. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    After vomiting, I can't eat, I don't have an appetite to do so if I even tried. I always just wait until I'm feeling a little better and make sure to get plenty of fluids.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not get sick to my stomach often, but if I do I just wash out my mouth really good after puking and then sip water for a bit to rehydrate. Luke warm water usually is best as your stomach is sensitive and cold might not agree with it. I would recommend trying to sip peppermint tea as well. It is very soothing for upset stomachs and might help you feel better sooner. If you drink peppermint tea when you first start feeling nauseous it might prevent vomiting, depending on what the problem is.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's very rare for me to vomit, but it happens with my kids and wife from time to time, so I feel that in these cases the best option is just to keep the body hydrated and give time for the stomach to recover before putting food down there.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    When I am vomiting, I just let it happen especially when I think that it is because I ate something bad. I don't forget to keep myself hydrated by drinking oresol/oresal (oral rehydration salt). Eating after puking is just bad. However, when it comes to children. Vomiting is a bad sign. You should consult a doctor immediately, because they can get dehydrated fast.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, that is the key right there chiof, drink those re-hydration salts, not only they make us feel better faster, but in my case they seem to calm down my stomach as well. I will never eat after puking, no way, I'll just give the body a break.

9. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    the important thing is definitely to keep yourself hydrated -- but be sure to be drinking water or drinks like Gatorade or Pedialyte that include electrolytes to help keep you balanced. Soups are great for curbing hunger but make sure they are mostly broth as liquid is much easier to keep down when you are dealing with repetitive vomiting.

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a fact. I've been stressing quite a bit in the last days so my stomach is pretty much messed up, but so far no vomiting, so I really need to take care with what I eat, I feel that in these times is when the body can get out of balance more easily.

11. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually eat as soon as I stop puking. I believe it makes me feel good when my stomach is not very empty. I prefer to eat only light food or some fruit juice. I can never leave my stomach empty as it increases acidity in my stomach.

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's better not to eat anything at all after you puke because chances are, you'll still throw up the food. It would be best to drink lemon/lime juice. It stops nausea and once that is suppressed you won't vomit again. I've used it before so I know that it works.

13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When you are vomiting, your stomach is upset causing the contents of it to be ejected back to your mouth. Vomiting can happen because your are nauseated. If this is the reason, it's important to find the cause of why this is happening. As for me, I chew a gum or a candy to stop my vomiting and my nausea. If it's just vomiting alone, and there's no apparent way to stop it, drink a lot of water, so that vomiting would be easier. A lot of water, and eat just very soft food, or if at all possible, don't eat anything, but just fluids. Find a fluid meal replacement, because there are cases that while meals, solid foods, cause your stomach to be upset and your eventual vomiting, fluids don't.