Waiting To Shop After Weight Loss

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by zoeysmama2011 • Apr 23, 2013.

1. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    I'm in the process of finally losing the baby weight. This is the beginning of my regimen. I was wondering if I should hold off on buying clothes until I reach my "ideal"(healthy) size. Some stuff is still too tight. Some clothes are a little baggy. For the future I know that I will need new clothes, but should I invest in them now in anticipation of the new weight loss. I am a size 12 now and my ideal size (before baby) was a size 6. What kind of clothing did you invest in, when you were losing weight?
    And I finally what kind of clothes do you shop for for exercising, that motivate you and flatter the figure?

2. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I would wait if I were you. The body does not usually return to the size you were before the baby unless you get into a serious diet and exercise regimen. I have had issues returning to the previous size both times and ended up being in between. Each persons body responds differently, so wait before you go investing heavily in clothes.
    I got some of my clothes altered to fit me as I lost weight or I invested in clothes that weren't expensive until I got to a size after which the weight didn't seem to melt off.

3. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Myself, I have a couple of pieces of clothing which I cannot fit into. Yet. I keep them as a reminder of where I am heading. Perhaps you can do the same. Sort of like a motivation device.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    After my first, I ended up smaller than I was before pregnancy.. with the second, I lost most of it, but never quite made it back down to my original weight. Point is, the first time, I ended up with clothes I couldn't wear because I went shopping before I lost the weight. The second time, I bought one outfit to motivate me. That way I didn't waste a bunch of money in case I made it past my goal like the first time and if I never made it to that size, I didn't have a bunch of small clothes I couldn't even wear. So I suggest just buying some "goal jeans" or something .. but I wouldn't invest in a whole lot for now.

#4Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I would hold off buying the clothes until you reach your ideal weight. I am in a similar position, I am entering a 'bulk phase' and I will probably need to buy clothing a size larger at the end of the bulk so I will not be buying clothes until then.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Why don't you get yourself a couple of dresses that can make the transition with you? Maybe a jersey dress with an empire silhouette that is fitted at the bust but not at the waist that would camouflage your middle, but you would still be able to wear for a while as you lose weight. You could also try a wrap dress in a jersey fabric since you might be able to get away with a medium as opposed to a large. As you slim down you could tie it tighter.

#6Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  7. harryca

harrycaNew Member

Threads:
    My approach on that matter would be to buy a pair of jeans and two jackets for my current size. This way I would be able to have some neat clothing options available while keeping most of my money to buy clothes at the end of my transformation!

8. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I think it'd be best to hold off and wait till you lose the weight to buy clothes that's what I did

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would also advise you to not buy clothes yet until you have reached your ideal weight, because I did that too, I bought clothes that are several sizes smaller than my current size in the hope that I'll lose weight eventually. But it didn't work out, and the clothes were never used until now.

10. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I think waiting is the best advice. As for your current wardrobe at hand. Blouses can always be worn loose fitting. The same with some dresses as well. Now when it comes to pants, skirts and shorts maybe you might want to consider having them altered a little so that they fit properly. For example change the elastic in the waist band to make them fit more snugly to the body. I also, don't think its ever a good idea to buy clothes that are too small for you to currently wear in the hopes that one day you will fit them. I have a sister who had an entire wardrobe of size eight clothing but never got back to this size and remain between as size 10 or 12. Needless to say she had to get rid of all of these clothes once she realized she would never get back to that size. So, the best advice is having some of your current stuff altered to fit, and then wait till you lose the baby weight to buy new clothes at the size you will currently be at that time and are happy at.

11. zoeysmama2011

Threads:
    @ maddie Oh , please don't say that! I can't imagine not returning to my pre-baby size. I think I will wait though, the weight is not dropping off me nearly as fast as it used too.

12. zoeysmama2011

Threads:
    Thank you for all of the advice everyone. I set my hopes pretty high for my weight loss. I'm only 21 but once upon a time, I could gain weight and it completely melt off once I started back running. I probably will hold off on buying any clothes. Honestly, I will probably be more excited to buy clothing once I can actually fit into it. Buying a size 6 right now would probably depress and make me realize how far I am from my goal. I do. however have one pair of jeans that I wore before having my daughter that I take a peak at everyone once in awhile, to remind myself that I wasn't and won't always be a whale. Lol.

13. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Zoeysmama, Sorry I didn't mean to discourage you.. As I said earlier a strict diet and exercise regimen could work miracles and each persons body responds differently to different states of existence. I hope you will not only get back to your previous size but look all the more gorgeous for it...Take care :)

14. Lilley1

Lilley1Member

Threads:
    You are right, Maddie. I know this won't apply to all women but it was that way for me. I exercised and ate very healthy after my first baby. I weighed less after two months post birth than I did before my pregancy yet my hips were wider. I couldn't fit into my little shorts anymore. I still have all my 'skinny' clothes for the slight possibility of fitting back into them.

15. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I'm in a similar position but not from pregnancy weight. I also don't have as much to lose because of that. Regardless, I want to lose some weight before I invest in new bras & clothes. I don't want to spend money on those items and then have them not fit. However, a lot of people argue you should just dress for how your body is today. I think you should wait. Just follow your workout plan and eat healthy and let your body dictate what size it should be. Once it seems to have stabilized then I would start buying new clothes.

16. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I usually have a few pieces in my closet that I bought one size smaller than I am just to have them as a motivation to lose the weight. This usually helps me loose weight because I tell myself that I need to lose a few more pounds to fit into that clothing and I set a time interval in which I want that to be done. If I don't succeed then I return the clothing to the store.

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Anna, that works for you? I realize one size isn't that much of a difference in body change, but the same outfit will look different on a smaller person and the fit is going to be different too, depending on where you're losing the inches. Right now, the scale says I have gained weight, but my blouses that were tough to button before when I actually had gained now fit perfectly.

18. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    The best advice I've ever heard on this topic is to dress for the body you have now, not the one you used to have/want to have/etc.

So you should pick up some basics, if you need them. Or buy yourself nice stuff in the size you are today. When you lose the weight, you can consign the too-big clothing. But you should dress for the body you have. Because that's they body you have. :)