Walking, just walking

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Sep 17, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The simpler things in life can also be the most healthy ones, like walking for example. I am fortunate enough to live in a walking distance to my work, so I walk quite a lot every single day and I miss it when I don't for some reason. What about you, how much do you walk? Do you walk on a daily basis?

2. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I totally enjoy just walking! I am not much for heavy exercise and honestly I don't really have the time. At night after our kids go to bed my husband and I go for walks together. It's much cooler here in Florida by that time so it's ideal. It gives us some exercise time and we get to spend it together. :) Together time is limited with 4 kiddos so we appreciate every second. My doctor even said at my last appointment that walking every day even just for 45 minutes is amazing for your health. I feel so much better knowing that I'm doing something to stay healthy and in shape.
    Exercise is exercise right?
    :)

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to walk on weekdays after I send off my kids to school and I find it more of a stress reliever than an exercise. That was about a year ago, now I've sort of level-up to light jogs as I'm already in my mid-40's and I want to have regular exercise that will help keep me in shape (Believe me as you grow old it will become more and more hard to maintain your weight :(). Though I still do walking (i.e. brisk walking) around 10 minutes after my 30 minute jog. :)

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I walk everyday. As long as the weather permits, I see to it that I get up an walk to do my daily errands like buying groceries and food supplies. We are very fortunate to be residing near the market place - about 1 kilometer away. To ensure that my laziness does not win over, I do not stock up on fresh produce and meats. I buy these daily so I get the chance to get up from my computer chair and walk.

Sometimes I jog with my dog. On most days, we just walk around the village.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I need to walk at least a couple of kilometres every day to feel balanced in body and mind. Usually, when I have time, I walk a lot further than that. Along with walking, I also need to go swimming at least three times a week to feel at my best. Here, in this town, we have a nice custom every Sunday, where certain streets are closed off from traffic, and people are invited to walk or ride their bikes. It is very popular. :)

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I make sure that I have time to walk every day. It is very healthy. :) However, I do my daily runs every morning. The walking part is just for leisure.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I love walking .I tend to walk at home and even to work that is if the weather isn't so much of a nuisance. I sometimes can't stand the heat and the pollution so I tend to just use the car but when I'm up early I tend to just take a walk.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy walking quite a lot. I walk to my workplace quite a lot and do not mind it at all. Sometimes I walk so much that my leg starts aching at the end of the day. I like walking as it is very good for health. I think one must never get bored of walking and try to walk as much as possible.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the weather is OK, I always take a walk every evening. There's a beautiful quiet spot near where I live [may sound like a fib but I live in a rural area so finding such spots isn't too hard] where I always go to enjoy the view. I not only get some exercise but being surrounded with nothing but nature sounds works as a stress soother. Not implying that I'm stressed but after a day's work you need to unwind in some way [and that works for me].

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I Walk everyday and I do enjoy it as well. I work from home so I don't really get to go out much unless I make an effort to, and especially so for exercise, so I try as much as possible to walk everyday and swim whenever I have some free time. I like walking because it gives me a chance to get some fresh air and clear up my head, and even though it might not seem like much in terms of exercise, I believe that it's at least better than not moving at all and I'm sure walking daily has an effect to some degree.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm not pressed by time I like to walk to where I'm going instead of taking the car/bus. I save a little money, I strengthen my legs, improve my health and enjoy the scenery, all awesome things! :eek: I'm actually quite proud of my ability to walk long distances without getting tired. In the time it takes to walk I think at things that need to be done or things that I learned - neat way to double what you get from the time spent reaching a destination.

12. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    One thing people can do who necessarily don't have time to go to the gym or whatever is walk a little more throughout the day! Taking the stairs instead of the elevator, if your floor isn't something crazy high up like 5th or 6th floor. Parking a little farther away from the grocery store entrance. Just doing little stuff like that can really add up over the course of a day and help you stay in shape.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always been a walker. I walk a lot. Walking hasn't helped me drop weight, but it does keep me healthy. Running helped me lose weight. I know people who have lost weight purely from walking, but it didn't work for me.

14. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Same here! I love walking, it's a part of my daily routine and if I'm sick or otherwise don't get around to it for some reason I find I really miss it. It's nice to slow down your pace a little and just enjoy some time outside. :)

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess I'm in the minority but I only walk my dogs around the block a few times a day. Other than that I don't really like walking. I do like it better than the bus though. Maybe it helps that I don't like my city.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL Nickshick, it makes me want to ask, are you walking the dogs or the dogs walking you? :p As soon as you age (considering you are still young) I think that you'll feel a need to move and walking is certainly one thing we can do to improve our health.

17. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Haha I don't know..I guess a little of both. Yeah I know you need to move. I'd rather just dance though. Walking feels boring to me for some reason.

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have from a lot of credible articles that walking doesn't only have physical benefits, it also has mental benefits. It also contributes to mental health, just that I am not sure exactly how, but from my own experience it really does. It makes me relaxed and helps me to relax without the feeling of being exhausted after an intense workout. So if you want to exercise without having to feel that stinging feeling that would make you want to just die, go for a walk, a long brisk walk.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also walk when I'm on my way home instead of just riding public transportation, and I don't mind the short distance. But I noticed that if I walk too much, like when I'm roaming the mall, my legs get really tired, so I now make it a point not to walk too much, since it's bad for me.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, I love the way you've reached that conclusion, you walk too much, your legs hurt. :) I feel that when we start exercising our body complains because we are not used to it, but at the same time when we start exercising more the body gets stronger and endures it. ;)