Walmart Greeter

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by mirage1440 • Apr 27, 2012.

1. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    I am 8 months pregnant. I went into my local Walmart a couple weeks ago to get some stuff with my 2 year old daughter. As I was walking in the door, the greeter said, "Hi, welcome to.... Wait, you're not having ANOTHER one are you?"
    I'm still not sure how to take this, but I feel really offended. It's not like I have 18 kids or something. And that is certainly not what I was expecting. I haven't been back since.

2. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    This is not someone you know? That's bizarre. What a really odd comment for a stranger to make no mattery how many kids you have!

3. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    Consider the source when something like this occurs. The person did not know you, they had no business getting that personal with you and they were not asked for any comment expect one from their work which is "Hi". Go back and do your shopping where you want to shop. If someone gives you another remark be smart with "I left the others, the triplets, at home."Make sure you smile then.

4. xtina3907

xtina3907Member

Threads:
    I would have been offended too! Women have children back to back all the time. I think about a year or two apart is a good age difference. Sometimes I wish I would have had my kids closer together. The greeter should have just minded their business.

5. GrandmaHugme

GrandmaHugmeMember

Threads:
    Is there any possibility that the Greeter may have thought you were someone they knew and were just joking with you? (Like some friends do when they like to banter or pick on friends.) If the Greeter was elderly, their eye sight may be poor and their memory not as good as it used to be so mistaking you for someone else is easy. And some people just blurt things out without any intention of causing embarassment; it's mostly because they are nervous and just let the words role out.

I am thinking that if your 2 year old was crying when the Greeter saw you, they might have felt sorry for you and said those words in sympathy to mean "Gee your hands are full - and now another one is coming. I feel for you." It's hard to judge a person's intent so I was taught not to even try to judge what others say. If what was said seemed "off kilter" then let it go as coming from someone who may be off kilter! That way my feelings are not hurt nor due I feel uncomfortable. Just the Universe Unfolding As It Should...

6. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Some people say things that come off quite rude, when it was not there intention at all to be rude. I probably would have stopped and said "excuse me" to see if they would elaborate on the comment. In my area, the greeter's are typically handicap, sometimes physically and sometimes mentally. In the case of a slight mental handicap, they may not realize that what they said was completely inappropriate. Did you talk to anyone there? I once had a woman at a grocery store say something rude very loudly when I was receiving WIC benefits. I talked to the manager of the store that day because it was also something that was very inappropriate and unnecessary. She was not intentionally trying to be mean, but she was also not careful or aware of how what she said came off to me and others around that heard.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    That's horrible I can't believe someone would say such a thing. Those Walmart greeters should keep the conversation light, and just say hi and bye. There's no need to get in someones personal business. I think that's grounds for termination in my book. You should have said "Last time I checked it was none of your business." If that person said that to you, imagine what is being said to the other customers.

8. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Thats ok - most of these greeters are older people, perhaps he mistook you for someone else. In any case he shouldnt be reason enough to stop you from shopping where you want to shop. I agree with goodselfme, make a joke out of it next time and just brush it off. Being pregnant myself I can imagine why you would be instulted but it's not worth it for us to get upset over something so simple (although its very easy to do so when you're already 8 months, tired, and have someone prodding at your business.) Just smile it off and keep going.

9. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    Life is too short to take this kind of thing to heart and dwell on it. We agree. Hope your pregnancy goes smoothly and that you have a good and easy delivery too. When we can stop pressure and then decrease stress anyway we can, that is what should be done for our better health!

10. goodselfme

goodselfmeMember

Threads:
    I wanted to encourage you to make your pregnancy a wonderful time and try not to let anyone put pressure or create stress for you. Hormones are at an assaultive level when pregnant so perhaps you might have been highly sensitive to the remarks. The greeter probably did not think before they opened their mouth. Have a great pregnancy and I wish for you a good delivery and lots of happiness!

11. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    Taking offense to something is usually because you assumed something that might not have been. You should have clarified and talked to the greeter. The greeter might have done that because someone he told it to find it funny. At least by telling him that you were offended, you might make him realize that what he said might offend other people and he might be more cautious on when to say it. Help others help you, is what I'm trying to say.

12. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't take it too personally. Walmart greeters tend to be less educated and lack communication skills, which is the reason they are employed to perform such simple duties. It sounds like a joke that was meant to be funny and friendly, but was communicated inappropriately. Everyone has had one of those "foot in the mouth" moments where something came out different than you meant it. Forgive the person for being human and congratulations on the upcoming baby!

13. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I have no idea why you the greeter would say that. Do you live in a small town where everyone knows each other? I always like the greeters since they are usually nice and my Grandpa used to be one. If it happens again just follow what goodselfme said and you will leave the greeter feeling embarrassed.

14. GOKuCommander

GOKuCommanderBanned

Threads:
    My guess would be the Walmart greeter was having a bad day. Just needed to blow off some steam by saying rude stuff to everybody. Either way though, it wasn't polite to say that to you.

15. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I think maybe the greeter was just trying to make conversation, and joking around a little bit. I doubt he or she meant to offend. I would only be offended if someone made that comment to me who was someone I knew, and was seriously questioning my family-planning choices. That doesn't seem like the case here. Next time think of a clever come-back such as, "oh, I'm not just having another one, I've got quintuplets in here!" ;) Or even better: "No, I'm just fat. Thanks for reminding me."

16. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I am surprised that a greeter would say anything like this to anyone. It shouldn't matter if they were older or mentally handicapped, as an employee of Walmart they should not have said this to you.

17. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    Wow! I definitely would have been taken aback by that comment! I don't think that having children that close is that uncommon! My son turned 2 the week after we had our second child and I wouldn't change the spacing we have for our children at all! I agree with some of the earlier posts though - I would go back and do the shopping that you need to do and if you get met by the same person I would walk up to them and be honest. I would say "I have to admit that I was a little offended by your comment the last time I saw you, and I just felt I needed to tell you that!"

18. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    Wow. I do not blame you, I would not have returned to that store either. In the Walmart's in my area the greeter does not greet any customers nor acknowledge them when leaving. The only time they snap out of their bored trance is when the store alarm goes off.

We have six kids between my boyfriend and myself, so obviously family is important to us. I most likely would not have been very pleasant, especially at 8 months pregnant if I were greeted that way.

19. emmit6378

emmit6378New Member

Threads:
    I have not met a cool greeter in Walmart in a very long time. It tends to sadden me because often where I am from they have some less fortunate individuals who can not preform Walmart's regular labor duties as a greeter. These people dont ever seem to be happy just standing there and I could be completely wrong but they could do something that they would enjoy more if the managers or whoever would give them a chance to actually work. Unless of course they cant physically do it.

20. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Let's give that Walmart greeter the benefit of the doubt. It may be his idea of being friendly. It may be a case of mistaken identity. Seriously, if you do not return to any place that you feel you have been offended by the staff, it wouldn't be long before you run out of places to go to.