Walmart Launches Organic Product Line

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Molly • Jan 29, 2016.

1. Molly

MollyNew Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty excited to see that Walmart is making an effort to offer organic brands to its customer. Their product line is called Wild Oats. Has anyone tried any of these products? What do you think of this change?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried any of their products. I have seen organic products for sale at Walmart but never under any trade name..I can't really afford to buy organic, so I guess I will roll the dice with pestcide laced products. I do sometimes buy at Farmers Markets, some of that food is likely organic.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the first I've heard of their new, organic product line. Do you know what types of products are included in the line? I haven't been to Walmart in at least a month, but my bank is there and I need to go visit the bank, so I'll try to remember to look into the products when I get there. I think more and more of the grocery stores are starting this organic product lines, and no doubt Walmart doesn't want to lose business to them.

4. Molly

MollyNew Member

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane They sell a lot of grains, bread, frozen produce, and other manufactured products like salsa, spaghetti sauce, pasta, etc. I think its worth looking into. It's not as cheap as the Great Value brand, but its cheaper than most organic brands.

@Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon The Wild Oats brand is more affordable than most organic products. It's not as cheap as Great Value, but its close!

#4Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
  5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Being certified organic doesn't mean anything to me. It's all bought and paid for, in my opinion. Especially if it's tied to Walmart of all companies. Nothing is truly organic unless you're growing it yourself. Pesticides may not be used, but Something is used and when using those allowed for organic farming, it's used far more. Pesticides, herbicides.. what is everyone paying more for exactly? Which way the pests are killed? As usual, people are buying a label. It's good a lot of iffy ingredients are left out, but highly processed food is highly processed food whether it's been sprayed with pesticides or herbicides, so I'd go for the cheapest, regardless. When it comes to actual foods, I go as local as possible (after checking into them of course, to be sure they are what they say they are.. something nobody does after seeing a silly sticker on the packaging). That's about the best one can do unless they have their own garden.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Molly@Molly I still haven't made it to Walmart, but I will later this week or next week. I will definitely try to remember to check this out. My brain tends to shut down when I enter Walmart and other large, noisy environments, because there's too much stimulation. That's why it's so important for me to write a list of what I need to buy or at least look at while I'm there. Kroger and HEB here both have a lot of ads about how they buy from local farms, and Kroger has an organic brand of their own, with somewhat affordable prices.

@JosieP@JosieP I'm also suspicious of a lot of these new organic lines, but it's worth checking out. I'd love to be able to have everything fresh and local, but that's not always possible. I definitely agree that limiting the highly processed foods/ingredients is important. I do buy some crappy snacks now and then, but other than that, I do a lot of my own cooking from 'fresh' ingredients.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's awesome :) When I say as local as possible, I don't necessarily mean down the street.. sometimes it's not within my own city or even my own province, but I at least try to stick to my own country. Depends where and what I'm purchasing. Sometimes it just doesn't matter to me, it's just the further away it's been shipped from, the less nutrients are left in the food. If these foods were truly organic, I'd go out of my way.. but there's really no point anymore in most cases.
    Can't wait to grow my own some day!

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My thoughts exactly. I have read a lot about organic labels not meaning a thing. I guess it would be prudent to check precisely what the FDA requires in order to obtain that "organic" stamp of approval (although, I don't really put a lot of faith in the FDA either).

I don't find Walmart's "regular" produce to be all the great most of the time (not the best quality OR price), so I don't think I'll be paying more for their "organic" line. I'd much rather support local growers than the big box stores anyway, and I know that their stuff is at the very least, fresher. I feel like that's the better deal.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is interesting, I didn't think Walmart would go and create an organic line, however I guess they need to follow the tendencies not to be left behind. Let's see how organic their products really will be. I wouldn't expect that much from Walmart when it comes to high quality to be honest.

10. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a bunch of them because they're a bit pricey, but what I have tried is good. My favorite thing they've done recently is the increased variety in organic produce they sell! It is a lot closer to the price point of the regular version (compared to the Wild Oats items) and they stay edible longer. I have no complaints, I say they're worth buying if the difference in price is in your budget!

11. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:

No I have not heard of Walmart's Organic Oats. Have you tried it? If so how does it taste? I am surprised I missed seeing this. I plan to do some shopping at Walmart on Wednesday so I will be on the lookout. I am glad to hear that more companies is listening to the customers and providing us with organic and healthy foods.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not been to Walmart in over a month to see what is new at the store. I am also a little leary of the label organic on products. How do I know it is the truth and the only way to be sure is to grow it yourself. I do try to use the products that have reduced the use of chemicals in the cleaning areas. Those products have some really harsh chemicals in them, I don't want them in the house for any reason.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't matter to me if it supposedly organic or not, if it costs more it is out! I just am not sure that I would trust Walmart in terms of "organics" my guess is they would employ cost cutting measures somewhere that would make the product not that healthy. However, I do want to try the carrot cake Hershey's kisses, that are supposedly only available at Wally's...lol.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is fantastic news for I can't really afford organic too, so I'll be checking Walmart for their products that's always cheaper than anywhere else. Thanks for the information!