Walmart or Target?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by wlrahilly • Jun 23, 2014.

1. wlrahilly

wlrahillyNew Member

Threads:
    Which store do you prefer to shop in; Walmart or Target? When you first walk in, they both seem like similar stores. The set up is anyway. However, I do not see as many bargains in Target as I do in Walmart. In fact, I think there are way more bargains in Walmart. But, I do like Target, don't get me wrong. What are your thoughts on this?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Australia, where I spend most of my time, we don't have Walmart but Kmart. I suppose they are the same, or similar, only that the Kmart version might be smaller. Target stores are common and in every town. I prefer to shop for sleepwear, underwear and socks in Target, as they have a bigger selection than Kmart where I live.

3. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    Walmart when I just want to save money. Target when I'm fine with spending a few extra dollars to avoid the average walmart customer.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say I prefer Walmart when I'm really looking for a deal. So I go there with a specific product in mind. But if I had an extra hour and wanted to shop, I would prefer to go to Target. I like their clothing line better and find they also have good deals on things I might purchase for the home, or as a gift. It is still preferable in my mind to receive a gift from Target from someone as opposed to Walmart. And if I give something I want it to be something that the person can return should they want to.

5. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I no longer shop at Walmart due to all of the bad press that it has received, along with some very informative documentaries that I've watched concerning Walmart. My aunt had purchased a blow up couch at Walmart, too, along with an extended warranty and the brand was Intex, which is a good brand when it comes to furniture such as this; however in trying to return the item after it popped, even with the extended warranty that she had purchased with the product; she was told that she would have to go through the manufacturer in order to get her money back. This just substantiated my view of Walmart due to the fact that they're selling extended warranties on products that aren't worth the paper that they're written on and when asked what good the extended warranty was; the customer service rep at the store just shrugged and really didn't have any viable answer, so it's like Walmart is charging $7.00 for extended warranties; that, again, don't do any good! :p

6. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I find them completely different, so it's really each store for different things. Our local Target is getting converted to not a super target, but they are calling it p and something, meaning produce and well I don't know. They did say there would be fresh meat too, so it sounds like just red tape as to why it's not called a super. In any event, I can't wait.

Target has some food items Walmart doesn't have and vice versa. That Market Pantry brand at Target is a good brand with many of the items being organic. That is unusual for non produce items here, Walmart for instance hasn't done anything like that yet.

Target has our dog treats better than Walmart does, and it's next to a restaurant we like. But we do go to Walmart for tons of things too. We buy electronics there especially. But as to the stores, it's not an either / or for us.

7. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Up in Canada the clear winner in this race is Walmart. However, I honestly prefer Target overall in terms of cleanliness and organization. We have some issues with it up here in terms of stocking though.
    In the USA, Walmart has a larger portion of the market there whereas Target is still reasonably popular within its own right.

When I do head south of the border though, I always head to Walmart to pick up diabetes test strips for the Mrs. They have their own brand which is 1/5th the cost of normal ones.

8. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    Target is definitely nicer to shop in than Walmart. It's just so much cleaner and better organized. However, the nearest Target is some ways away, so I find myself at Walmart a lot more often than Target.

You can get some amazing deals at both places if you pay attention. If you're a coupon clipper, you can apply those coupons to the already amazing deals and get some deep discounts. For example, I needed some supports for the "tennis elbow" I have in both arms, and I wound up getting those for more than half off because they gave me a $10 Target gift card for buying the supports. I used the gift card to buy something else that gave me a $5 gift card, so I got lots of free/discounted stuff on that trip. Those little gift card deals are awesome.

9. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer Walmart over any Target. I like target and find some items that are not so expensive. but with Walmart I can always find a great deal on all products , I love Walmart markdowns and I love that I can save at Walmart. Target has become in the last year really expensive it doesn't take long to spend 100.00 there with one bag carrying out.

10. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I know several teachers who began working at Target as a part-time summer job. None has complained about working there. I like Target but their prices are about 15% higher than Walmart. I love the prices at Walmart. However, they do do treat their AVERAGE worker fairly.

Has anybody seen that new Target TV commercial about how they will shipping your merchandise via UPS or the USPS? It is much too late in the game to begin competing with Amazon.

11. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    I feel less guilty shopping at Target than I do Walmart. At least Target treats their employees somewhat decently. Walmart is a financial drain on any community it is in, they actually encourage their employees to live on food stamps and welfare because they refuse to pay their workers a good wage or give them full time hours. Plus, shopping in Target is so much nicer, cleaner, and more organized. Any Walmart I'm in always smells faintly of, uh, someone's dirty diaper...

12. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    I think I'd have to give the slight edge to Walmart. Target is OK if you want something "nice," but Walmart is definitely the place to go for variety or if you want to save money. I just have to leave my ethics at the door. Plus, our Walmart is a Supercenter, and the Target was a regular one, but expanded into a Super Target. However, they didn't make the building any bigger (nor did they add any additional cash registers) so more often or not it just feels more cramped in there. Walmart is a good wandering around store, while Target is more of a "get what you need and leave" place.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. I go to Walmart for my everyday shopping and only go to Target on occasion. Walmart just has better deals overall and I find the selection for Target isn't that great. Now granted some items at Walmart I've found is cheap but I think you can find cheap products in every store and it's only happened to me on rare occasions. I'm not worried about the quality too much for everyday items anyway.

14. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer Target. It is a shame that it is too far away from where I live, here in the boonies,lol! We do on the other hand hava a Walmart in which I was employed for nearly two years. My experience with being employed at Walmart is that the employees don't really enjoy customer service. They tend to hide from the customers,lol.

15. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know about where everyone else lives but around here, Walmart seems to get a very bad reputation. They are known for having "trashy" customers. That being said, I don't go to Walmart to watch the customers. I go to Walmart so that I can get fairly good deals and still get a good variety of products. The fact remains that Walmart is cheaper than Target and at this time in my life, that's what matters. I do like Target because overall, the store seems brighter and cleaner. I also love Target because they have a great baby section. I usually go there for all my son's clothes and his diapers. For some reason, diapers are cheaper at Target than anywhere else. Go figure!

16. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Even though Target has been the subject of customer security in the past year, I'm still loyal to them. Although when I want something specific, I go to Walmart Express. These are smaller and do not sell furnishings or entertainment items, just food, household items and cosmetics.

Target offers a better shopping experience overall.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    My preference is Walmart. I have notice in recent years Target has expanded their stores to compete with Walmart. In the end I feel Target does not have a great variety in their respective departments like Walmart. This is simply my observation of the 2 stores in my town. In other cities this comparison may vary. The one advantage I give Target over Walmart is the clothing quality. Although the prices are a little higher, I give Target credit for having great clothing selection for me to choose from. Walmart has a huge grocery area, follow by an electronic/entertainment section, an impressive office equipment area, and an arts/craft section to keep me there for days. Also, as you have mentioned, the bargains in Walmart is much more appealing. As a matter of fact I do almost 80% of my shopping at Walmart. That's how much I love them.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Target is actually a nicer quality store, and the Super Target is much nicer than the Super Walmart. However, Target charges more for th exact same item than Walmart does, therefore, i seldom shop at Target. It is much further away from where I live than Walmart is, so it is much easier just to run down to Walmart when i need something than to drive all the way out to Target, and then still probably pay more for the same items than I would at Walmart.
    The regular Target doesn't even have much food in it, it is more like an oversized Convenience Store. No wonder the parking lot is always empty !

19. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    This question sounds familiar but anyway, I prefer Walmart ( super center Walmart) over Target just because I've had more of an opportunity to shop at Walmart of Target because it's closer. The times that I've shopped at Target it's for small things like a pair of earrings or some clothes. I've noticed that the food they carry was expensive. But I did like the layout of the store, and everything was very clean. The last thing I bought there was a pair of shoes over a year ago and have only worn them once lol. They surprisingly had a good selection of shoes.

#19Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  20. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    Walmart for sure!

With Wal-Mart you get an amazing selection in their grocery isle. Not to mention the sales going on in the rest of the store. I can walk into Wal-Mart right now with a bunch of coupons and save on a crap load of money.

Target is ok in my book. I like to go there when black Friday hits. Of course Wal-Mart is awesome during black Friday but there are always more people. You can also find some pretty cool things at Target you wouldn't find at Wal-Mart.