Walmart's price match guarantee

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Lieutenant • Apr 1, 2012.

1. Lieutenant

LieutenantMember

Threads:
    I have used this many times. I often take in sales fliers from other grocery chains that require you to spend X amount of dollars to get the savings of that one deal you want. Walmart has been very good in allowing the customer to bypass that requirement but of course firmly enforces the limit of products. The thing I do not understand is that Walmart will not match prices from themselves. They will not match online prices even though they will ship it to the store for free....? I find this very odd and frustrating because I do not like to buy things online and would really like to get the deals that they offer online in the store. For example a TV series online at was $19.99 and in store it was $45.99. I just wish they'd get together on prices. Another frustrating thing is that there are two Walmarts in my town. One will have different prices from another. Exact same product but one is usually $2.00 more and when you bring it up to a manager they just say it's based on region. What the heck..... how can 15 miles in the same town be a different region?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually gave up on trying to use the price matching. They constantly give customers the run around on it and nitpick every detail possible, even if it looks like the exact same product in the flyers. It's just not worth the pennies saved sometimes.

And as for the different region thing, the region lines have to be somewhere, right? So maybe the line falls right in between those two stores or maybe they're shipped from different places, so the costs are different. They have to have a cutoff somewhere and it looks like maybe you're right on the edge of one of them.

3. Lieutenant

LieutenantMember

Threads:
    The region part is funny because they are managed by the same regional manager. I forgot to mention that part. And I usually search for the oldest cashier or the youngest when doing the price match. They seem to be more apt to give you the price. Plus for me I don't bother with small penny difference items. But when the price of Pepsi is 4/11 (12 packs) at a local grocery store that requires you spend an extra $10 to get that price I go to Walmart and they mark down their $4.00 plus per twelve pack to the sale price and don't make me spend the $10.00

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    My Economy teacher told us the other day that the Walmart price match is not really true. They don't really care about their customers.

5. dkramarczyk

dkramarczykMember

Threads:
    That does sound really weird. I don't think it makes much sense, but at the same point there is probably some reason for it. Maybe that specific store won't be able to get reimbursed for it? But that doesn't make sense either since it is all from the same company. I'm thinking that they probably don't do that because then they might end up having to do that for all other online prices, which would then become a very large mess for them.

6. BrittneyD

BrittneyDMember

Threads:
    I love how Wal-Mart's pricematching system always has a catch to it. I had the same problem with them not matching their own store, or Wal-Mart.com, prices. To me this is crazy because it should be the same price no matter which Wal-Mart you shop at. I think it is crazy that they won't match their own price.

My other issue is that they won't match online stores period. If Toys R Us is having a deal, and you print it out online, they won't match it. At my store they will not match the price if you do not have the actual paper ad in your hand. I forgot the ad for Kroger's when I went shopping. I figured that the employee would know the deal since Kroger was only a mile down the road. When I told them the deal that Kroger had, the woman looked at me and asked me if I had any proof. I told her that it was in their ad, and she told me that without that ad she couldn't match the price. I found that funny since their commercials stated a different story.

I think a lot of it has to do with who is working. If you carry your ad with you, and don't bring up online prices, you can get some pretty good deals. For me it has always been too much of a hassle to deal with. I always forget my ads at home.

7. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    Can you offer us some more details on how your teacher explained that the price matching is a scam as you are saying?

8. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I have not tried price matching at Walmart myself because I do not shop at Walmart. I prefer to shop first at local stores, even if the item I need is slightly higher in price. I then will choose Targer or Walgreens over Walmart and their corrupt business practices.

9. hummingbirdee

hummingbirdeeMember

Threads:
    My daughter lives in a community with a fantastic Walmart. They never question her when she price matches anything. She saves tons of money on her groceries. She also saves money on gas because she isn't running from store to store. I wonder if each Walmart is different. I have not tried the price matching at the Walmart stores near me. I have several to choose from. It would be worth experimenting to see what would happen. I am curious, though, as to why they do not do online price matching.

10. kcampbell

kcampbellNew Member

Threads:
    I always hear about this, but never acted on it. Walmart deals are so great already. I think that the only time that I have seen a store with a better deal is on Black Friday. I don't understand either why the online prices are cheaper. It's the same store.

11. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    My girlfriend used to work at walmart, basically she said if you complain enough when your checking out about not getting a coupon or something. The manager will crack and have to give you whatever you want. So the customer is always right :)

12. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    It's better in the UK. When you got to ASDA (the UK version of Walmart) at the bottom of your receipt there are some numbers. If you put these into the price guarantee website and it's ASDA is more expensive than any other supermarket they give you the difference + 10% extra for free. They're always more expensive.

13. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    I don't much like Walmart's business practices either. They have an extreme monopoly, and are almost solely responsible for sending jobs overseas.

I have used the price match feature at Target a couple of times, but to me, it isn't worth the effort.

14. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I have never done the price match at our Walmart, but then again they can't match the scanned prices with what they have on their shelves. Many times things scan up to $5 more then what the shelf says and they will get quite nasty with you when you tell them it rang up wrong. A manager tried making me look like the problem one time when something rang up almost $4 more then the shelf. I matched the sku and everything to verify I was correct. She gave me a hard time and pretty much tried making the customers behind me think that I was just being a problem. She actually told the cashier that it was not labeled wrong but she might as well give it to me anyway.

Yeah I can't imagine the price match from another store working well here!

15. Lieutenant

LieutenantMember

Threads:
    All those that do not take advantage of their price match should. Just get the store add from other stores and bring it with you. They will give you the better price with very little questions.

16. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I've never tried price matching at Wal-Mart just because I would rather coupon stack at Wal-Mart. I have seen others arguing about price matching at my local Wal-Mart so I am safely assuming it's a hassle at most Wal-Marts. At my local Wal-Mart in Miami coupon stacking is a breeze especially since it's always so full the cashiers just want you in and out quickly. Sometimes they even take the same coupon twice without noticing.

17. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    They are a big brand but they have the worse customer care ever. I have never found anyone to tell me that he had a good experience on this part. Just pick the things you need and you can afford, there is no way out

18. rachallen

rachallenNew Member

Threads:
    That is weird that they do not match their own prices. I shop at Walmart about once or twice a month. I have never used the price match, because usually I am in such a rush that I just want to get in and out of there. I have seen the commercials and have heard of people talk about it though. I rarely make shopping lists, but if I did, I would definitely use my store flyers, make my list and then take them to Walmart.

19. Popatar

PopatarMember

Threads:
    I had a friend who always took advantage of the price match at Wallmart.

He didn't even need to bring evidence or proof sometimes. I guess he annoyed them enough into giving him the deal. He is also a Future Shop store manager so I guess he knows how the game works. I couldn't be bothered to save a few dollars so I've never done this.

20. dantesmom

dantesmomNew Member

Threads:
    I have tried to use the price matching with mixed results. I have one Walmart that is so coupon friendly and they give me very little trouble when using price match. Some of the girls there do have to ask a manager if it is okay to price match, but they are never rude about it. The other Walmart that I go to seems to have a reason why they cannot price match every single time! I have given up even trying at the "bad" Walmart because they nitpick everything and seem to make up rules out of thin air. Unfortunately, the "good' Walmart is farther to drive to.