Want a tip? Don't use Paypal.

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Gailius • Sep 22, 2012.

1. Gailius

GailiusNew Member

Threads:
    If you buy something online, do it by Visa or something along those lines. Don't use Paypal. They charge big fees and can lock up your account for essentialy no reason. I've had troubles with them and they've essentialy stolen hundreds of dollars from me.

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Really? Could you tell me more, because most complaints come from sellers. Paypal is actually wonderful for buyers since they don't allow buyers to get shafted. I've bought quite a few things and I have yet to see a fee of any kind nevermind a big one... How long have you been with them and are you vertified? Also do you have any documentation you could use to straighten this out? If you've lost that much money you really need to be complaining... loudly.

3. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I am sure they just took your money for no reason. That's their business model. Steal money from people. Why don't you tell us what you were really doing to get your account canned?

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Well paypal charge 10% off your when you but things online. Especially if you order it from another country. Obviously it is really high and yes it is recommended to directly use your credit or debit card in ordering things online. But I don't agree that paypal locks your account without any reason. There are reasons and if you don't know, maybe it is in the other side of the transaction. Maybe they filed a dispute that;s why your account is locked for review.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have never had any problems or fees added onto purchases that I have made through PayPal. I actually prefer to purchase using PayPal instead of a debit card because of the dispute resolution process that they have. If I don't use PayPal, I would use a credit card over a debit card.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I haven't had fees put on things I've *bought* either. It's when I sell things that I get charged. The fees almost always go on the seller's side. If you're from another country, then I can understand there being some slightly different rules.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For people that work online or participate in surveys or rewards programs, it's not realistic to not use Paypal, since that's how most of us get paid. I've had Paypal try to put a transaction through 3 times, causing me a triple overdraft fee from my bank. If they had stopped after one try, I could have put the money in my account and retried the transaction myself instead of racking up 3 times the overdraft fees.

8. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    I've been using PayPal for years and have never had any charges for making purchases through my account. I even got a rather expensive computer system online and paid through PayPal. And as ACSAPA stated, if you do any work online you have to PayPal account to get paid in a timely manner and without hefty bank fees. Some companies will only make payments through a PayPal account.

9. polenksz

polenkszMember

Threads:
    I never had any problems with paypal. At least not just yet...I guess it's just a matter of how we use it. I have not used it to purchase someting, I use it to get paid

10. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Hey please further share what issues you are facing with Paypal! I'm also a buyer using Paypal and as far as I know, it is mostly the sellers who are affected with fees and other issues. I've never been charged a fee for purchasing online using Paypal's services before. Perhaps you could get your account verified if that helps? You mentioned that they locked up your account? What was the issue that they stated for locking it up? I'm sure they wouldn't just do that for fun?

11. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I also never experienced any kind of problems with PayPal whatsoever. Actually, since you are a buyer, I don't think that you are supposed to experience any problem with your transactions because PayPal has this kind of reputation that makes them look like an online buyer's best friend. In fact, sellers are the ones who are constantly facing problems with their PayPal money because PayPal's term favor buyers over sellers in most cases.

Like what others said, maybe it'll be great if you could post what kind of problem you encountered so that people here may know and maybe avoid them.

12. Belindafierce

BelindafierceMember

Threads:
    I've been with paypal for 4 years and have never had a problem. I rely on paypal to get paid so not using paypal is not an option. My only suggestion is to never leave a lot of money in your account at any given time. I only leave money in it if i'm going to buy something at that moment.

13. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I am sorry PayPal has not worked out well for you. I have so far liked it since I do more buying than selling online. It helps me feel safer when buying. I hope you can get your money back! That really stinks!

14. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Big fees to 'buy' online? The fees are levied on sellers, not buyers. I, for one, have been using Paypal for years without any major issues. In fact, it is my payment method of choice.. I find it a lot safer than entering my credit card details on some webpage.

15. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    Perhaps this is an issue for people buying things out of country?

I'm in the USA, and have bought things from the USA, Canada, England, Australia, Thailand and Germany and have never had fees added to my purchase price. I've used Paypal for nearly a decade now I guess and have never had a problem.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used paypal for many years now and i have NEVER had this problem i have brought things online using the money i had in my paypal and i didn't get charged any fees and my account has never been locked or anything. The only time paypal locks an account or anything like that is when they suspect fraud going on if you are scamming and getting people to send you money to your paypal or what not they will catch it and lock it but that's the only time i have heard of paypal locking an account another than that i don't see why they would and i have never had them "steal" my money either. As a matter of fact a site took money out of my paypal without permission once and the site kept saying just to use their product cause they don't do refunds and they weren't going to give me my money back and i called paypal and within the next day i had my money back. I highly recommend paypal and i love it!!!

17. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    I tell you one thing, try and get in contact with Paypal if you need to. You will get the run around and be left in the cold for weeks or months on end. They are nonexistent as far as actual support. Some others may have had different experiences, but from most people I've spoke with it is the same experience as mine.

18. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    I've never had any trouble with PayPal and they've never charged me any fees. I've used them for over 6 years and have had nothing but excellent service. I always use it to pay via bank account directly. PayPal is the only way I shop online.

19. Rosa_Camilla

Rosa_CamillaNew Member

Threads:
    I don't know that Paypal blocks your account for no reason. I've been using Paypal for years now because it is the one I use for my transactions online. Most of the sites I've joined use Paypal and I also purchased some items online using Paypal. No additional fees were deducted because I've paid the amount indicated on the item I bought. I'm sure if there is an issue with your account, you can ask Paypal to straighten that out.

20. koelha10

koelha10Member

Threads:
    I have not heard this type of complaint with buying items using Paypal before. Now I have heard people who sold items and accepted Paypal as a payment method have had problems. For example if you sold the item, received the payment and then shipped it, if the buyer complains that they never received the item to Paypal, they will then take that money back from you to return it to the buyer and possibly lock your account if there are similar complaints.