Wanted: Tips For Strawberry Plants

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hayrake • Feb 3, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love fresh strawberries and enjoy going to the big pick-your-own farms and loading up on them. I would like, however, to be able to grow them myself. I've tried several times and they just don't do well for me. Any tips?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We have struggled for about 2 years to grow strawberries and finally got our first berries this year! The plant looks nice and healthy too so I think next year we'll have more than 2 (that's all we got this year). I think strawberries must take a long time to grow. But it was worth the wait. The berries were very yummy!

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    The strawberry farm I go to is owned by a couple who attend the same church that I do. They have a huge farm and the berries are always large and delicious. Some years more so than others, but that's farming. Anyway, they replace their plants every single year, saying that to keep the same plants invites disease.
    I don't know.
    My grandmother used to grow really good berries and she never replaced hers.They just multiplied every year to the point she had enough berries for everyone around her. I wish she were around to ask, but she is gone now. Plus, she lived in another state altogether and the soil there is way different from what is on my farm.