Warm Up Exercises

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by May102014 • Oct 23, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    What type of warm up exercises do you do before and after your workout? I am always conflicted with various advice from health and fitness experts on what to do prior to a workout. I always stretch and do a simple 5 minute warm up to get my body ready for a routine. My warm up may consist of 30 pushups and 50 squats with weights. I came across one report stating you shouldn't stretch before a workout because it could possibly cause injury to the body. Sighs, whatever and I didn't believe a word of the article. Anyway, what do you guys do before and after a workout?

2. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I suggest you search about dynamic warm-up exercises. These help increase body temperature and increase range of motion. When I started doing dynamic warm-ups, I immediately noticed the difference it brought to my workout routine.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    When I am running or doing my exercise, I don't really do those crazy warm-ups. My warm-up is so simple that I am not even sure if it would be considered a warm-up at all. When I run, I run slowly until I feel the sweat, before I finally speed up to my average pace. The slow run is my warm up and my cool down. I don't do anything else because I really find other warm ups to be time-consuming, since I am always on the rush. I think that I would rather do straight what I really like, than do more preludes, so I would have longer time doing them. But I wouldn't recommend to others to do this. It is still best to do warm ups if you are after for your optimum body capability in each of your workout.

4. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Well warm up exercises are always important. Just try to stretch a little and maybe do some cardio in order to raise your heart pulse. After that just go easy on the first weight exercise you try, take a lighter weight and do you first exercise of the routine. After that start use harder weights, you'll pump up and avoid injuries this way.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Streching before you workout kind of depends if your body is ice cold going into the workout or not. For instance, when I workout mid-day at school, it's close to 0.5 mile from my class to the gym walk all the way across campus. So that acts sort of as my "warm-up" and I can go right into stretching before my actual workout.

But if I run in the morning, I'll run in place, do some jumping jacks, etc for about 5 minutes before starting my stretches.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to do a warm up exercise for at least 15 minutes. I make sure that all my body parts have been worked up and stretched. I think it is quite important to do warm up exercise every time you do exercise.

7. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    I hit the gym on a daily basis, so warm up exercises are a must. I prefer to walk to the gym than use any vehicle. Running all the way through gym is a good way to get the blood pumping. Then I do some stretching before lifting weights.

8. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest warming up with some stretching and some mobility movements- and this will loosen you up a bit-then after that get your heart pumping a little bit with some light jogging. I would then start with some lower intensity movements like running in place a short time and these warm-up sessions are very good for your heart,by slowly and gradually getting the heart amped up. This slow warm-up protects the strain on your cardio-system overall.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Stretching is a must and I almost immediately can tell when I have not stretched enough and it is never good. I always try to just work up to wherever I want to go steadily and listen to my body.

10. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I go for a jog early in the morning. It wakes me up completely. Then I do some stretches and jumping jacks. It warms me up and makes me active in the morning. Then I do situps, pushups and planks.

11. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Jogging and the running often helps. And another thing is that walking also helps contribute to keeping healthy. So you can see that warm up has it's benefits. And people who are gaining weight should be walking as much as possible. Because running may lead to their knee pain. So it's reasonable to walk as much as possible. And it can be good enough in many ways. I guess that can be good for many people around.