Washing machine

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Jul 30, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So finally, after almost 16 years, my washing machine was broken. I called in a technician who told me that he would need to take it to his shop and repair it there, it would take a week and cost more or less $200. From what I understand it's a good machine and the price of a new one can easily range from $500 to $600, so I think I am going to repair it. Has this happened to you? What would you do?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember that my mom bought our 1st washing machine when I was only 8 to 9 years old, and it lasted up until I was 24 years old. I'm not sure if it got replaced because it was totally broken already or because they bought a new one already during that same year. I know the old one has many problems already but I'm not sure if it totally conked out by the time it was replaced.

In your case, I think you should just have it repaired, because you will be spared of the additional expense if you buy a new one.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    The action I take depends on the cost of the repairs. If the repairs are inexpensive I won't buy a new washing machine, what's the point? But if a hefty sum is involved, and if the washing machine is old, buying a new one is what I'll do :D 16 years old means that the washing machine is missing plenty of features that are now present in the new ones, things that help save on water, electricity and detergent costs.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I would weight the cost of the repair to the cost of a new machine that you think is good quality. I would think if your current machine is reliable even if the new machine is cheaper if it is not as good quality I would pay for a more expensive repair because I think in the long run it would benefit you. My washing machine in my apartment recently broke and the building decided to pay for an almost $500 repair because they thought it was a better idea than spending almost $1000 on a new one.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you made a good decision. If it can be fixed for that price and keep you happy for another couple of years, then you did well.
    I only ever buy new things if I get the feeling that my old ones are on the way out. Often it also depends on the honesty of the repair person. If someone tells me that they can fix a problem but that it's not worth it, as it is too worn out, I am definitely grateful for the tip.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually the guy who repaired it is returning it today, final price 140$ so not so bad considering it will be working good and last me some more years. Sure, the machine doesn't have the most recent features, being electronic and all, but it does washes the clothes so that's all it matters right? :D

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, you had your washing machine for 16 years before it broke down? What BRAND was it??? Would like to run out and buy that brand for sure. The fact that he's saying it would only be $200 dollars may be a good idea if you can't afford to shell out more money for a new washer right now. After 16 years I may say just buy a new one. But since it sounds like a sturdy brand it may be worth it to just fix it.

Oh, I posted this before I noticed your last response. That's great that you were able to get it fixed for so little and will have it for several years longer like you mentioned.

8. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    That is one durable washing machine! 16 years? We're lucky if ours would last half that long. But then again, we only buy the low end ones due to constant moving. The cost of the repairs I think is well worth it. At least the people you sent it to can be trusted.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    They are not making them to last that long anymore, everything lasts less these days. It's an Electrolux, it has no electrical interfaces and those are the less liable components, once they broke down forget it. Up and running again! :)