Washing your hair

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Strykstar • Oct 15, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you wash your hair every day?
    I do but my wife says that it's damaging to the hair, so she uses a shower cap every other day.
    What about you guys?

2. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I do wash my hair every day, if I don't I feel dirty and I don't like it at all. From what I have read the ideal is washing your hair every other day, that way it doesn't dry out and get damaged because of the loss of natural oils. I think this is more important to women than men though, they're the ones that notice damaged hair and they usually only cut it a few times a year. Us men on the other hand tend to maintain our hair short and cut it once a month or so, that gets rid of the damaged ends, so it's never a problem for us.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    No, it's not good for your hair either. I probably only wash my hair twice per week. As you may have heard before there are oils in your hair that help protest it, and if you wash frequently (especially at high temperatures) the oils get removed and this ends up damaging your hair.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on your lifestyle and the length of your hair. Men with short hair who shower are rinsing it each day really. Women with long hair like myself, I usually wash it every other day. If I was somewhere hot and humid, maybe once a day, but a light rinse and when I used work in the city, then you have to wash your hair at least every other day with all the pollution and dirt it attracts. If I'm at home and don't go out then I wash it less frequently as there are no fumes getting into my hair!

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, I wash my hair everyday. I've never been one to really care about my hair and I've been getting buzz cuts since I was 10 years old. I just don't feel right if I don't wash my hair everyday and don't feel clean.

I suppose it just depends how much maintenance and care you want to put in your hair.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I have black hair, so washing it every day would be the fast track to going bald. I try to go for twice a week and even then, one of the sessions is a co-wash, not a full shampoo. I rarely go more than a week without shampooing at least once.

7. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think you need to wash your hair everyday unless you are living in a place where it gets really dirty from dust etc. Whether you was your hair daily will also depend on the status of your scalp. If you do not have any such problems then the key is to use a shampoo that is right for your hair and that is not too harsh.

8. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I have afro hair so wash it weekly as its very damaging to the hair to wash it constantly. If I wash it twice a week the second time I will only condition or treat my hair rather than wash it. Because constant shampooing also causes damage. I also do egg washes and use hair mayo to treat my hair.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom used to give us kids egg washes when we were young. It was gross, but I have to admit we had strong, healthy hair.

I washing my hair once per week unless I have been sweating a lot. Then I wash it twice maybe three times. That's not good for my hair.

10. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I usually wash my hair every other day. It all falls on my workout schedule. If I workout three days of the week, then those are the days I will wash my hair. I can tell when my hair is starting to get greasy and 48 hours is the limit for me not washing my hair. When I'm not working out a lot I can get away with another day in between washing my hair. I think it depends on the person and how they feel about it. I knew some people that washed their hair every single day, and some that only washed their hair once or twice a week. It's all personal preference.

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    It's unhealthy to wash your hair with shampoo every day because shampoo strips the hair of essential oils. If you really like shampooing, you can do it every other day. I shampoo my hair every other day, but condition it every day. I have chemically treated hair, so shampooing it will just make it look dry.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wash my hair with shampoo every other day. If I do wash my hair on a daily basis, I see to it that I don't use shampoo all too often lest I damage and dry up my already difficult-to-tame hair. During intervals, I just wash it with conditioner or hot oil. I have curly hair so frequent shampooing is highly discouraged.

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    But what if my hair gets *too* oily if I don't wash it every day?
    Are my only two choices going oily all day or stripping it of all essential oils?

14. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Then you are probably over washing it. If you keep removing the oil your scalp compensates but over producing oil. You just have to bear with it for a week or so, and eventually it will get back to normal.

15. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on the type of hair you have. For example, my hair is very thin and oily. If I don't wash it every day, the oil combined with the thin and fineness of my hair to mat and form large knots that encompass the entire back of my head. The oil will also cause my face and ears to break out. To combat this issue, I have to wash my hair every day with products that fight against the oil and break the knots before they combine and ruin my hair.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to wash my hair everyday but now I do it every other day. It wasn't entirely a conscious decision as I just started to veer onto it naturally. At some point it just didn't feel necessary or healthy for me to do it everyday anymore, though I've never really looked it up to see which method was really better. I just felt it to better for me and I thought that not washing everyday couldn't possibly give me an illness anyway so I just went with it.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I washed my hair every day. Now that I'm getting some gray, my hair is much dryer and becomes damaged more easily. I usually only wash it every other day now. I use a bit of leave in conditioner and a kid's tangle spray that has some conditioner in it to try to keep it more hydrated.

18. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I wash my hair every other day or whenever I shower, because I get dandruff a lot, even if I shower in cold water. Also, my hair being down close to the level of my lower abdomen, gets tangled and knotted up quickly in a day or two, which I dislike a lot and require a washing to straighten it out. Plus, after a few days, my head becomes itchy from my dandruff and mixture of body oils that cause it to irritate my skin, which is why I rarely go past 3 days without a shower unless I'm somewhere outdoors or camping. I use shampoo most of the time to wash my hair, but sometimes I use conditioner if my hair is super tangled and I require it to be straight in order to comb my hair properly. Lastly, I wash my hair often, because when I was little, I used to get lice infections a lot because either another human passed it to me or I got it from playing outside too much, so its a habit for me to wash my hair very other day [except summer, which I wash everyday].

19. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, I have a similar problem, but not as bad. I wash every other day to resolve my hair problems. Also, I use a comb in the shower to get rid of tangles and knots faster, which I finish with conditioner to smooth my horse-tail straight out once more. My major hair problem is dandruff, which causes my head to feel like its on fire if I don't wash my head oil/dandruff mix away!

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do wash my hair every day during the summer season when I get to sweat frequently everyday. But during the cold season, I don't even take a bath at all for like two days. I think I would only take a bath, when I personally feel that I really need to, when there comes that calling to go the bathroom. And even so, I don't soap my hair that often. I only do so if it really needs to be like when my hair already smells or if it feels so greasy.