Washing (yourself) in cold water.

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Lostvalleyguy • Apr 28, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard that bathing in cooler water is great for the skin and hair. I have some experience with this up at a lake where the lake is the place to bathe and it is always brisk to refreshing and never warm. I do find that after a few days, the hair does seen a little softer and seems to stay cleaner (less oily) than in the city. I haven't noticed a difference with the skin however.

Has anyone heard that cold water is better for bathing the body and if so, has anyone tried it? I am wondering if a few degrees makes any difference as I don't think a cold shower in the winter would be my thing.

2. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Cold water is in fact better on your skin. Cold water doesn't dry out your skin whereas hot water does. I have a cold water bath that uses milk that I use every few months. Milk and cold water simply helps your skin unbelievably.

3. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    This makes sense, but I've never really tried it! I have shower with cooler water if I was really sick or after a really long run, but usually get cold after a while and have to change the water to a warmer temperature. I guess I will consider this when washing my face :)

4. BlacKnight1090

BlacKnight1090Member

Threads:
    I'm the same way. I'm honestly not a fan of cold showers at all. Though I have been through many days when I was extremely hot and needed to cool down. I'd start off with the water cool to nearly warm to get a little chill on my body and then slowly bring up the temperature once I feel normal again. I think it's cool if cold baths/showers are good for the body, but I'm not looking to do it. o.o I know several people who also do milk baths, but it never crossed my mind and it's not for me.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really sure, because I heard that cold water is the one you should use to close the pores while hot water opens them. I live in a tropical country, so cold water is tolerable for me when I take a bath. I actually prefer to take a bath using cold water.

6. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    @sidney@sidney, you are right, cold water closes pores and hair follicles so I know rinsing your face and hair in cold water makes it shinier and smoother. I have always done warm/hot baths with a quick cold water rinse.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My roommate forgot to warn me that the hot water was going to be turned off at 8 am. I had to take a cold shower. It was not pleasant. I will never do it again. I didn't notice any changes in my skin, but I was definitely more alert for the entire morning. I didn't get sleepy in the late afternoon either. I was more productive throughout the day too. Still for all the benefits, I would never take another cold shower unless I had to.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is not for me. I would not be able to stand the cold water on my body long enough to get clean. It maybe better for the skin but I will never find out. I try not to put my hands in cold water or cold meat.

9. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    Yes, I too have heard that warm water will clear the skin and cold will close the pores and keep dirt out. Personally, I do not notice a different with my hair. I know that I enjoy starting my shower with warm water and then sometimes ending with cooler water to help refresh me and bring me an alertness for the day. It helps transition from sleep to awake.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here, where I currently live, you only ever get warm showers in hotels. I've been getting used to my daily cold shower. Admittedly, I found it a bit challenging in the beginning, but with time, I managed to adapt. I have noticed that my skin has never been so soft before. I don't even need a moisturizer any more.

11. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it's so much that cold water is good for your skin as it is that hot water is not. I'm afraid I couldn't stand cold water much, though, to reap any benefits. Cool water in the summer, yes; but not cold. And always hot in winter.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cold water is good to cool the body down, but soap doesn't lather as well with cold water and hot water does dissolve away away grease on the skin, so hot water is more effective. Whenever I've been forced to use cold water I have never felt clean, i see it as as rinse rather than a wash.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can attest to colder water being better for your skin than hot water. I used to take insanely hot showers, and my skin would break out ALL the time, I had horrible open pores! Ever since I changed to either tepid or cold showers, my skin has improved dramatically. Of course I do other things to care for it, but my skin has never been happier!

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually mix both when I shower. I tend to start off with warm as I feel it to be much more comforting and also I feel it works better with getting off dirt from my body, even though I'm sure with soap either cold or hot would do the job. It's just one of my irrational quirks. I do prefer to finish off with cold water though just because it's much more refreshing and from what I've heard it does a good job at bettering the mood as well.

15. wahmee

wahmeeMember

Threads:
    I couldn't bathe in cold water. I just couldn't even try. I need to have really really hot water, the kind with steam coming of it to shower. I do however wash my hair in the sink with cold water from time to time. The reason we're not supposes to use hot water is because it drys out our skin and hair by removing moisture. But that's what body cream is for right.