Watching TV - overrated?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Mafdet • Mar 11, 2014.

1. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    Hey guys

It's been about 7 years since I stopped watching TV. I find it's redundant since you can find most anything on the internet nowadays. How do you feel about watching TV? Is there still something interesting to watch?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Yes there are a lot of interesting series to watch. However with a service such as Netflix, I can see all of them when I want. I haven't even owned a tv since 2006 I think... so yeah.. I do think there are interesting series to watch but I prefer to watch them from my laptop.

I do think that at some point in the future I will be buying another tv though, even if it will be just used as a larger computer screen for watching movies etc. So much more comfortable watching it from a proper television, especially when you are watching it with a group of people.

3. mmug

mmugAdministrator
    Administrator

Threads:
    On Black Friday I bought a tv. I think it was the Black Friday fever... I want a tv but I am not watching tv (tv is boring and on my laptop I see what I want). Now I use my new tv as a big screen for my laptop. Sometimes I turn on my tv on MTV just to use it :)

4. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I completely agree with you on the point that watching TV is becoming overrated. This is due to the reason that you can watch almost all the stuff online which is broadcasted on TV. Even the live sports are being streamed online these days. And services like netflix and hulu are very good services which stream good entertaining content.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Watching tv used to be overrated, but now I noticed that most people don't really watch tv anymore, they prefer to to surf the net and watch the programs that they want to watch using their computer. So I now think that watching tv is becoming underrated, while surfing the net is becoming overrated.

6. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I think in a week, I would only watch TV for about 2 hours and that's it. My main form of entertainment now is the internet. You can basically see almost everything that you would on TV in the internet. I only open the TV to watch my favorite shows but other than that, it's of no use to me anymore.

7. Trent

TrentMember

Threads:
    Most of what I watch I do it online. Like you said we can find anything online now, but TV is still ok for some current shows when you wan to relax and have a few laughs.

8. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see how exactly watching tv is overrated actually. In what way is it perceived as overrated? People rarely watches anything on tv anymore other than a couple of shows. Everything can be streamed online if you don't mind a smaller display.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still put the TV on for Jeremy Wade and his series "River monsters". :) And occasionally I watch a foreign movie late at night. But apart from that, I can't stand being constantly interrupted by annoying advertisements. Also, every time I switch it on, there seems to be nothing much else on but reality shows, and they don't interest me at all. If I know that there is an interesting documentary on one of the channels with fewer advertisements, I make a special point to turn the TV on. But it's happening less and less these days.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've gone through phases for years at a time when I would barely watch any television. I really don't miss TV at all. If anything, I mainly will leave it on in the background while I am getting other work done, for the ambiance of it - but I'm not really actively paying attention to it.

I remember when I first started going online on a regular basis back in 1995, I was glued to the internet, and that was one of the first times I stopped watching TV for nearly 5 years. In fact, I still remember my parents and other people talking about the whole Elian Gonzalez thing at the time, and I barely had any idea what they were talking about because I wasn't watching the news at all. I regret to say I was also way out of the loop with the presidential elections of 2000 as well because I was spending so much time online.

11. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    I don't use the TV to watch many shows anymore either but I still use if for live sports. That's about the only thing that can't be replaced. Sure you can find some illegal stream but the quality is always very poor. You can find just about everything else on Netflix, Hulu, or just the network's website. The need for a tv subscription is fading but people watching tv over streaming from the internet is still the majority at the moment.

12. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Not sure if "overrated" is the right word you're looking for. If you have a DVR, I think watching TV is a great option as the quality of picture is much better. However, without a DVR, it's a bit of a waste of time when you can access on TV show whenever you want on the internet.

13. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the subscription that you have. If you have some great subscription, am sure you will still be enjoying television at this moment. I love watching television especially there are some series that am following. They are great and am always waiting for the next episode.

14. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    It depends. Do you mean watching Tv live? If so. Then Yes. I agree. I am more than willing to wait until my favorite movie, or Tv show is available on one of the media streaming services that i am subscribed to. I will not pay $100 a month just to watch Tv live. I am rarely at home anyway. Netflix, Hulu, and iTunes are what i use now.

15. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    My television watching has dwindled over the past few years. I will still watch it to catch the news or while I am doing a few chores around the house. Now that many TV shows are available for free a day after they air, it is easier for me to wathc the actual show on my time rather than when it comes on. TV is still relevant for current events and local material, bit for the most part it is unneeded if you have internet access.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Were it not for sports, I wouldn't be watching any TV. Fine you can stream some of those games online but I like to watch them on much bigger screen so I can catch all the action as it happens rather than lean close to my monitor's screen [which ain't that big] for that.

As time progresses I suppose, more and more people will get all their stuff on the net. That's why I think they've started making TV's you can also use for surfing the net.

Just don't know if they are worth the money.

17. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I am forever a slave to the idiot box. I'm not a couch potato but I do love watching tv, news, movies, series, entertainment, sports, etc. For me, nothing beats the good ol television and all you need is a comfy couch
    and a trustee remote control.

18. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I can't afford cable, so I mostly just stick to Netflix and Hulu. That's enough for me. I hook my laptop up to my TV so I can watch the shows I want on a bigger screen. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to browse through channels to see what was on, because Hulu and Netflix only offer so much. But for the most part, this works out okay.

19. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are quite a few interesting things giving on TV, but if you have a modern computer you can just plug it to the TV and watch everything online in a more convenient way than the small screen of the laptop for example, a simple HDMI cable does the trick.

20. GottDeals

GottDealsNew Member

Threads:
    Back when I was single I would go without a TV for a few years and then get a used TV because I wondered if I was missing anything, and then it would break and I would fix it just to sell it. I haven't really been "into" TV since I left my house at the age of eighteen. We watched too much TV growing up I think, so I am pretty much done with it to which I ponder "Good riddance".

My family on the other hand really wants television, so I compromised by disabling the cable/antenna input on the television and simply using the TV as a display monitor for our DVD/VCD player. The rating system on modern televisions aren't refined enough to stop my teenager from watching things that I don't want him to watch. So instead I have a VCD/DVD collection of over 200 discs and counting. ... My teenage son still feels deprived :)