Water Pitcher Filters

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Mar 27, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    The well water in my home is very hard and has a lot of sediment. I have a filter in the basement and one in the refrigerator, but I'm thinking to get a water pitcher filter too. I know little or nothing about any of them. Does anyone have a favorite; and, if so, why is it a favorite?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite is Zero water, but I do NOT recommend it for you if you have very hard water. I live in the city and have very soft water. I use it to remove the chlorine primarily. It makes the water taste kind of like rain water it's so clean.

These filters are about $15, so if you have hard water, it's going to be extremely expensive for you because the filter will fill up very, very fast and have to be replaced frequently. I would recommend purchasing several gallons of filtered water from a store each week if you do not want to drink the hard well water all the time. At many stores, once you have purchased the jugs, you can refill them for about 30 cents a gallon or something like that. It's not a lot.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will second Zero water - if you are going to invest in any of the popular water filters, it's the one to go with. Pur and Brita do very little to the water compared to Zero - you can really taste the difference, it tastes like distilled water when it comes out of the filter. The downside is it's slower than Pur or Brita, so I would suggest getting the big tank for your fridge with the dispenser nozzle at the bottom, and be sure to add more water to it after every couple of glasses you take from it.

When you initially fill it up, you fill up the reservoir on top, then you have to wait several minutes for it to drain through, before filling up again a few more times. It takes like 30 min or so to get the whole tank full on the initial filling because you can only add a little at a time.

4. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using Britta water filter for years, and my main concern was just removed the particles in our city water, even though it is safe enough to drink straight out of the tap. I just don't appreciate the smell, so I filter it!

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I used a Brita filter for years and liked it just fine. I'm not sure how it ranks on the scale of filtration, but it always made gross city water smell and taste better, which is usually all I'm concerned about.

The Brita pitcher is easy to use and quick, and then you always have cold filtered water available. I also think it is the most cost effective if you do not have a filtration system on your refrigerator. The replacement filters are not only affordable, but there are always coupons available for them.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been curious about this too. I hadn't heard of Zero, but thanks for sharing the info. I will look into that one. All I knew about was the "popular" name ones, like Brita, but Zero sounds much better. I'm trying to figure out something that works but is still affordable. I'd prefer to filter water at home than buy jugs of water. It is cheaper to refill them, but it's kind of a pain. I tend to forget to bring the empty jugs with me when I go someplace that has a refill station. I guess I just need to get in the habit of placing the jugs in the car as soon as one is emptied.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This

is relatively cheap and it has a filtering system that's really comprehensive. I have not tried it myself but I did a bit of research and the device seems like something you might need. The water filter also comes with a sediment pre-filter.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a filter pitcher that I don't use often. Our water is good and I see no need to filter the water, I can't tell the difference between filtered or unfiltered water in our house. There are some areas that I will not drink the water it taste so bad. That is when I will only drink bottled water.