Watering the lawn

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Aug 7, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the past days I've been noticing that when I come to work, around 8AM, I see most automatic watering systems on and the lawn is receiving water. The thing is I am under the impression that the watering of the lawn or any other thing is more effective at night because the earth absorbs better the water no? Am I wrong here?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best time to water your garden is during the early morning, from 6:00 to 8:00 AM to avoid fungal problems, and so that the water is less likely to evaporate, according to this article:

Before, I thought that we can water our lawn anytime that we want and it won't make a difference. Now I know better.

#2Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm certain watering in the evening and early in the morning work just fine. The advantage as Sidney points out is watering your plants/lawn at night has one major disadvantage:
    I've done the watering both in the evenings and mornings but didn't see any fungal infections on my plants. Maybe it happens if you frequently water your lawn/plants in the evening/at night.

4. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bothered watering my lawn in about 4 years, and I've actually had great success. True there are a few dry and no wonderful spots, but for the most part it is healthy.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I water my garden in the morning but I do not water the lawn any more. When I was a kid you watered the lawn every day mosty in the early evening, but since we have had a few drloughts we no longer water the lawn and just hope for the best.

6. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ha, so that is the reason, they might get diseases, I never knew that. I watched a show not much time ago saying that if you water the lawn in the morning the heat comes and evaporates all the water so basically you were doing nothing, that is why they claimed doing it in the evening was better because all the water would be absorbed.