Ways To Save Money On Craft Supplies

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Tora16 • Feb 19, 2016.

1. Tora16

Tora16New Member

Threads:
    As a crafter, I find it can be really hard sometimes to avoid dropping a lot of money on new supplies. Even if I'm trying to work out of my stash, I still tend to find myself needing a new set of knitting needles or a string of beads in a certain color, and those expenditures add up!

I've found a few ways to help cut down costs. For one, periodically scanning the clearance sections of my local craft stores for anything I expect to need down the road. Once I was able to score a fairly complete set of crochet needles dirt cheap that way. Another is looking for alternate supply sources. For example, jewelry on the clearance rack can sometimes have its beads and charms re-purposed for something else, or I might look online for free printable resources for paper-crafting.

Yarn crafting is a tough one though. I can easily get free patterns off ravelry, but quality yarn can be pricey. I've been coming to appreciate good quality wool, but I try to only use it for special projects to keep my costs down.

Does anyone else have any favorite methods for saving money on crafting supplies? Or even just other creative sources for materials?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really do crafting but I am looking for an embroidery circle to make a trivet with wine corks. I keep forgetting to look for one though at the fabric store, I think a craft store would also be a place to find them or possibly Walmart. However, I don't really go to those stores often enough, and it is hard to remember. Your tips are really good though. You never know when I might craft. I don't have much talent, but once in a while, a project comes along that is even easy enough for me!

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I live in an area that has a wholesale craft district. Many of the shops are open to the public. It's fairly easy to get craft items at nearly wholesale prices. There is also a Michael's store that several blocks big. It's really huge. I love that store. In a pinch, Walmart has yarn at fairly cheap prices. My favorite craft is crocheting.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought various craft needles from thrift stores, actually. You can often pick them up really cheaply and on the odd occasion I've been able to get entire bags or wool from there as well. My mother knits more than I do so if I get those it's usually for her rather than for myself. I typically do more paper crafts and jewelry making so I'm always on the lookout for bits and pieces as well. I love to scan the clearance section of craft stores. It's worth checking ebay too. You can get some good deals there!

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One place I've picked up nice supplies at decent prices is estate sales. A lot of the older folks who were into crafts would hold onto their stash and store it well, in sealed bags/containers, so the quality has been maintained, and I have also seen unusual, older, and vintage designs that aren't as prevalent these days. Sometimes I've stumbled across deals at garage sales, but the local garage sales usually don't involve crafts or craft supplies, so I've learned to focus on the estate sales.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say, I have had good luck finding cheap craft supplies at thrift stores. I often find new stuff as well, and I get it at a very low price. I've come home with a whole bag full of stuff for just a couple of bucks.

As for yarn, I don't usually like to buy yarn at thrift stores unless it's new. Even then, it may be an issue if the person who donated it had cats (I'm allergic). If it's rolled, it can be tossed into a mesh bag and washed thoroughly.

There is another trick too. I've read about people taking home sweaters from thrift stores and washing those and then unraveling them for the yarn. I've yet to try it. There is a tool they use for it, which I don't have. I'd have to do it by hand.

The tool may be well worth the purchase price, and more than pay for itself, if used often enough.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Online sources like eBay or Amazon would be great for saving on craft supplies. In addition, you might be able to find special sales at artistic minded shops like Ben Franklin or Hobby Lobby. Note, I would mention consignment shops and flea markets, but the ones in my area don't seem to have craft supplies.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Crafting things like embroidery, crocheting, stitching, among others require a lot of thread materials for a project. I have a friend who is skillful in crafting arts. I have visited his place which is full of craft materials that cost so much. That hobby of him earns him money.

I tell him that I want to learn that skill. He has advised me that it is too laborsome and it requires a lot of materials. So has suggested that I would just buy a finished product. In any case, I save efforts and money too. He has the point.