Weak Nails On Kids

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Mar 18, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My younger kid has weak nails on his hands, the ones on the feet are fine. He doesn't drink milk, but his brother doesn't drink either and his nails are fine, so I do wonder what the issue is. Any idea here?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not sure what milk would do. It's proven that milk actually does the opposite of what most people think and alternatives would be much better for their overall health. With that said though, it could be a number of things. It would be best to investigate the diet and see what they may not be getting enough of. Or see a doctor who can rule things out for you and check for deficiencies. I know gut issues can cause these things too.. so best to be sure nothing is getting started in there as well.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    You might want to talk to your doctor about perhaps giving your kid a calcium supplement. Some of these can be pretty good. There are some that are like chewable candy that is a good source of calcium. Its possible that your child does have a calcium problem and if this is the case it should be taken care of. Having weak nails is just one of the issues that can occur with a lack of calcium in the blood stream. But its important to let a doctor determine this, there could be another problem at hand.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Calcium is best received through foods (note: foods.. not milk lol). Where do you think the calcium in cow's milk comes from in the first place?? lol. Greens! Anyway.. just jumping in again cuz I'm pushy like that haha. If you're concerned, the doctor will give you a much better idea. If he says more milk.. leave immediately :p

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was going to suggest calcium myself. Do be sure to visit the doctor though, just to check for any underlying problems. They'll be able to advise whether supplements are necessary.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually the doctor suggested some sort of nail polish that I started to apply on him yesterday, so let's see how it goes. It's supposed to last for four days and eventually it will make the nails stronger too? Let's wait and see.

7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I was going to actually suggest the nail strengtheners that come in those nail polish bottles. I have tried them so I know they work, but once you stop using it, the nail strength goes back to what it was. They are a quick temporary fix, I wouldn't be too concerned about thin nails though. My daughter had thin nails when she was younger and now they are fine.

8. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    None of my kids drink milk (and ONLY drink water, actually) and all of them have the fastest growing and most ridiculously thick nails of anyone in the family.

Our diet is relatively consistent. We are meat eaters, and I make sure to serve them a fruit or veggie at every meal. They also take chewy vitamins. I think if you can incorporate more fruits and veggies into any kids diet it is almost always a good thing.

My kids are good about eating anything now, but when they were younger I would hide tons of veggies in muffins and other baked goods. I still do out of habit, actually, and it always makes me feel better that treats are somewhat healthy.

Here are some ideas if you want:

. (<-- My own article with pictures, not spam.)

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have weak nails, they get chipped easily, and mostly because it gets soaked in water. Your kid might soak his hands more often in water than your other kid that's why it breaks easily.

10. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    My mom use to say carrots and vegetables would help with my nails and hair. I ate them and I remember in fifth grade other girls marveling over my adult looking nails. They were long and filed. Very white and clean too. I do not know if it was my mom's advice or not. I thought drinking milk helped, but the others hear don't fully agree. I try to eat a healthy diet instead of a poor diet, so maybe he simply isn't getting a balanced diet.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    You may have a point there ABC, but at the same time my kids have the same diet and one has perfectly good nails and the other not really. Well @sidney@sidney I don't think he spends that much time in the water, do you feel that makes a difference?

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't have to be while taking a bath, maybe he washes his hands too often? I wash the plates and after doing that my nails are vulnerably soft.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But do they have the same digestive system.. we're not all created equal. Maybe he's not absorbing things as well as the other. Not that weak nails means he's unhealthy, but it could be the start of more symptoms to come. It could be anything.
    When it comes to milk.. if it's in his regular diet, more won't help. If he's not been getting calcium in his diet lately, his little body will be taking it from his bones to compensate. Either way, calcium, protein etc etc etc etc are all better received through the actual foods.. that's where the animals you eat are getting it lol.. why wait till they digest it for you?? :p

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, they are different inside, that is for sure! Our body is a mystery because the older has more health issues, but now the younger comes with this nail issue. Sure, it's not a big deal, but it is disconcerting.

That's an interesting perspective to look to milk. :p

15. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL it is. I mean, I wouldn't shame anyone for choosing to go the animal route, it's the human thing to do. But when you think about what you're actually doing, it gets sort of... ew haha. Grown adults breast feeding from animals! Sorry.. the breast milk is pumped. How weird is that?? lol or waiting for the animal to chew up and digest nutrients so you can get them in their meat.. instead of eating the plants that gave them the whole nutrient in the first place lol. It's just odd what we're accustomed to.. we don't really think about it.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I don't think much about what I am eating because if I did most likely my diet would change dramatically. I almost don't drink milk because it hurts me, I get breathing issues, it's a shame because it tastes good. :)

As for the nails, the "polish" is working for now. :)